1991 explorer build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 explorer build

1991 explorer 4x4 build

Hi my name is Mike and I have been watching this site for a while and now that I have started my explorer project I figured I would post it here.

I started out with a stock 91 explorer 4.0 auto 4x4. I picked it up in good running condition for $1000. Since this is not my DD I am taking my time making it a little more offroad worthy.

My plans for this explorer are to use it as a weekend camping vehicle that will see mostly desert trails and mountain roads. With that in mind I am more focused on durability than rock crawl capability. I already have a large amount of parts sitting in the garage and am starting to build this thing. Any ideas or problems you see with what I am doing let me know.I am going to work at putting pictures up and parts list.

Parts list for now

Front suspension
-skyjacker drop brackets for beams
-deaver superflex coils from f150 #csh57
-extended radius arms using stock arm and 2"x1/4" dom tube. bushings not hiems
-extended brake lines
-d35 with 4.56
- upgraded u-joints and c-clip eliminator
-manual hubs
-Fox 2.0x10" shocks
-upgraded swaybar
-Dual piston calipers from 96 ranger

Rear Suspension
-l/s 8.8 with 4.56
-stock leaf springs with SOA
-Fox 2.0x12" shocks
-disk brakes from 97 explorer

Engine
-stock and will probably stay that way

Trans
-M5OD
-manual transfer case with home built shifter and linkage

Wheels/tires
-5 d window steel wheels
- 4 new bfg km2 33/10.50/r15
- 1 used bfg at 33/10.50/r15

Steering
-stonecrusher style steering with chevy tre's

First picture is when i pulled it into the garage. We stripped the front suspension off. since im using coils from an early F150 (deaver superflex 4 in lift) i cut the coil buckets off as well. I have skyjacker drop brackets, have built my own radius arms using the stock arms, I am working on mounting coil buckets from an early bronco.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,243
  • springs.jpg
    springs.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,869
  • frame cut.jpg
    frame cut.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,865
  • dr frame plate.jpg
    dr frame plate.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,912

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is SoCal, and post some pictures if you can

Does anyone have a good suggestion for the rear. I would like 4inches of lift. I want to put deavers in but dont have the $700+ to buy them. Are skyjacker leafs good for around $450? or maybe F150 leaf mod with longer shackles?

Got my tires already. BFG KM2 33/10.50/15 . am waiting for my other 3 wheels to show up. I am using these coil buckets from Duff along with there lower coil plates to give my springs a solid mount

Attachments

• wheeltire.jpg
    wheeltire.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,751
  • coil bucket.jpg
    coil bucket.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,754

Finally got the explorer back on the ground. No axles or anything installed just figuring out where to place the coil buckets to get the right amount of lift i want. Now i have everything back apart so i can finish welding and drilling mounting holes

Attachments

• radius arm bracket.jpg
    radius arm bracket.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,705
  • radius arms.jpg
    radius arms.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,709
  • 4in lift.jpg
    4in lift.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,720
  • coil bucket mockup.jpg
    coil bucket mockup.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2,039

looking good where in so cali u at im in newport beach

I need to have the explorer out of the garage for the next two weeks so i had to get the front back on the ground. Got everything bolted in. Upper shock mounts built using hacked up f250 towers. I still need to build the lower mounts on the radius arms. I finally put the axle shafts and diff in. Looks great with the rear suspension and tires stock- i think i'll leave it;). Those deaver front springs are very soft. I am going to need the sway bar for sure.

Attachments

• front lift side shot.jpg
    front lift side shot.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,639
  • front lift in garage.jpg
    front lift in garage.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,629
  • front shot under.jpg
    front shot under.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,624
  • coil bucket with springs shocks.jpg
    coil bucket with springs shocks.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,701

Grabbed the disc brake 8.8 from the junk yard. Took it apart today and am now getting it back together with 4.56 gears and new bearings. I'm leaving the l/s for now until i can get a good locker. I am hoping to have this axle in the truck thius week.

Attachments

• rear diff settup.jpg
    rear diff settup.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,707

Got the axle in last night and did a spring over conversion. ended up with around 5inches of lift. I still need to build shock mounts and finish up the brake lines.

Attachments

• rear axle installed.jpg
    rear axle installed.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,638

Got the brake lines finished and bled the brakes. I put the old wheels and tires back on while it gets painted. I did a side job for the painter at my work so i get a free paint job. I been polling all my friends about what color to paint it and i think I'm going with desert tan. I even got the explorer fired up again and ran it for a while.

the last picture is of my buddies 03 ranger 4x4 with a dana 44ttb in front. He has a real nice truck and just needs the suspension tuned to make it fly in the desert.

Attachments

• lifted with small wheels front.jpg
    lifted with small wheels front.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,535
  • lifted with small wheels.jpg
    lifted with small wheels.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,527
  • brandons truck.jpg
    brandons truck.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,536

I got the explorer down to my work and the body guy has already gotten the body repair done. The body was really in good shape and only needed a little work in a few spots. Hopefully the painter can get to it in the next week or so. I havn't been able to work on this thing for a while and am ready to get it finished.

Attachments

• wait for paint rear.jpg
    wait for paint rear.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,532
  • wait for paint.jpg
    wait for paint.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,503
  • wait for paint side 2.jpg
    wait for paint side 2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,489
  • wait for paint side 1.jpg
    wait for paint side 1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,518

you have to use one from a 95 with no abs,no cruise and no proportioning valve.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The painter has been slowly getting the explorer preped for paint. He has the whole thing sanded down and ready. Now we are just waiting for some time in the spray booth. Should have paint in the next day or two.

Attachments

• ready for paint 1.jpg
    ready for paint 1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,441
  • ready for paint  2.jpg
    ready for paint 2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,502
  • ready for paint 3.jpg
    ready for paint 3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,435
  • ready for paint 4.jpg
    ready for paint 4.jpg