1991 Explorer replacing rust pannels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Explorer replacing rust pannels

Anyone ever replaced the dog leg, rear fender and or rocker panel on a 1991-94 Explorer? Mine are getting really bad!!! I can see the ground almost from inside the truck. I need some ideas on how to repair this problem. I wil do all the work myself seems I am able to do the job my self and refuse to pay shop prices.

Thanks

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine are pretty bad too, I am thinking about getting some fiberglass mat and layin it in there, then once its built up doin a thin layer of bondo over that. I once saw some replacement steel panels on ebay, they were goin for a lot of money. I'm not sure if they are very available. Would I be okay in doing my fiberglassing? Thanks.

yea, same here my dog leg is just killing me... only body rust on my Ex.. and it's a hole through it. I'm probably going to but a dog leg piece just because it annoys the hell out of me and if I do sell this X this summer. I want to look good. Then I can get more money for my new one.

I began the rust repair work on my '92 Eddie Bauer last summer. I had two holes in the drivers side rocker panel, a hole in the dog leg and the area above the front left wheel well was rusting out. On the passenger side I had only one hole in the rocker panel that was visible. My plan was to fiberglass and bondo the holes... when I began pealing the paint back on the drivers side, the entire bottom of the rocker panel fell out... at this point fiberglass was out of the question. I was able to find a replacement rocker panel and dog leg for the drivers side for around $100. I had to do some slight modification to the rocker panel to get it to fit my four door Explorer (universal fit). I then riveted this panel, and the dog leg into place, and used fiberglass between them, and bondo to blend the edge into the original. Over the wheel well and on the passengers side, I used fiberglass and bondo. Once locating factory correct "Medium Mocha", which isn't made anymore, I repainted all of the tan on the truck (two toned Eddie Bauer paint scheme). The outcome was worth all of the work... this is not an easy job, but if you have some body work experience it is do-able. If you would like to see my before and after pictures please e-mail me hoon.4@osu.edu

replacment rockers

havve a new set for 91 - 94 4 door

make a offer

I know I'm pulling this thread up from nowhere but I'm going to do some work on my rockers and was wondering if anyone ever saw MaxPower6733's before and after pics. I'm going to email him and see if he still has them. Any additional input would be appreciated.

Hi

first post...
I have the same problem with my 92 EB
I hate the way the "usual" rust spots make my X look
I would love to do em my self to save $$$
body parts pricing ins't bad but...shop pricing is.
any help in this area would be awesome.

Victoria

man, i guess all the 91-94 EB's are notorious for this same rust-out problem..
i have a 94 4dr explorer(not the EB) which has excellent body but engine is bad..new tranny reman'd last year.
im looking at a 91' EB loaded now for 2k. but the panels are rotted out bad. i might pass on it now that i see thres ones in better shape for same $.
this blows though re: rust. and my poor truck,i love em so :(

p.s sorry for waking the dead. i think this is an important thread though.

one more Q, (if anyones reading)

are the panels above fitted for Eddie Bauer models?
i compared my 94' 4dr 4x4 to this EB and theyre definitely not a match :(
was hoping i could jsut swap but nope..
wondering if i even want a 160k mile ex for 2k. ahhhgh

I had the same problem. Last summer i noticed the doglegs starting to rust, when i tapped them with a hammer they were worse than they looked and were crumbling. So i decided to replace the doglegs and picked some up at a body part place here in town. I chose to weld them in place and did so, by renting a little mig welder. First i cut out the old doglegs and replaced any other parts around them that needed it, then once everything was solid i treated the metal with a weld through primer so that once i welded the dogleg on everything on the inside stood a chance against the environment. The doglegs welded in very nice as i took the time to carefully cut out the old ones and left material around for a perfect fit. After the welding i did the body work with filler etc, and paint. Now they look better than they did before! And it only took a few days to do. I got rid of the overlap look that the original doglegs had and welded the new ones right to the rocker, it is very solid and looks way better. But i do suggest they be welded for a more durable repair.

Im having the same issue, driver side dog ear, rocker, and rear fender. I plan to replace all of it myself. Im still studying the welding manuals I have. Got the army welding manual, lol, but Ive learned a lot. Looks like what I plan to do is to do it right. I want to cut out all damaged pieces.

A guy at my local body shop says the best bet is to get the replacement panels for the parts that are rusty. Remove the same pieces from the truck. Weld the new ones on after treating any rust found after the bad parts are pulled off.

If anyone in the Seattle area wants to get together and do a double job, let me know.

Im just cringing at the thought of the rental fees for a mig and cutting torch.

OK I know its been awhile, But I to need to replace both doglegs and both rocker panels, My question is, as I am only finding four door body parts, can or will a four doors dogleg and rocker panels work? Cut to fit? (mine is a 2 door model)

call me stupid wuts a dog leg?

Back