1991 explorer sport 5spd manuel 2wd transmission/clutch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 explorer sport 5spd manuel 2wd transmission/clutch

Jessemordecaijones

Reaction score
City, State
Lake forest california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer sport
Ive got as far as unbolting the few bolts that were there but cant reach driverside top bolt that holds tranny to motor ive got the front driverside inside wheel dustcover unbolted and pulled down and out as much as i can without unbolting all the things attached from underhood and was planning on taking that same wheel off inorder to attempt reaching that little ******* from there? Ive got many wrenches and sockets on that bolt but am noticing my attempts have started to damage the head of it and dont want any stripping of somwthing this difficult to get at. Any suggestions woukd be very very helpful as i am doing this at my moms mobile home park and due to their no working on vehicles in the park at all rule i have to do this clutch replacement at night and extremely quitely while not getting snuck up on by the many skunks that cruise around here at night!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go buy a 2-foot socket extension. Put a swivel on the end, and that is my go-to for transmission bolts.

try to reach them from the top.
roscoe

Yea like a 3ft exstension and reach from the end of the trans..taking the trans crossmember off and lowering the tranny some with a jack helps to see them

All the above! I've heard some people can reach those top bolts from the front, or from lying on top of the engine, I've done it with 3' of socket extensions, and the trans lowered a little so you can see above it when youre sitting on the ground, like mentioned. A worklight shining up on them, and a second person to hold the socket in place really helps.
Also, a 6 point socket helps, rather than a 12 point.

in my bronco II which has the same engine compartment I use an open end or box wrench from the top.
roscoe

I'm 6'5" so I can easily reach the top bolts with a wrench. Removing the plenum helps. I still prefer to use the long extension underneath, It's a lot faster than messing with the plenum. It looks tight, but the top two bolts are easier than it seems with an extension longer than the tranny. I use those "swiveling" harbor freight extensions. They aren't as floppy as a swivel adapter. They work great for putting the bolts back in too.

Back