1991 explorer stereo wiring / no sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 explorer stereo wiring / no sound

no sound 91 explorer

• retwerw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • wrytwet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DAVID MAN

Reaction score
City, State
DALY CITY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer
hi people, Im Dave, I owned a smog shop here in california for 20+ years, i am retired and feel stupid for this issue, I put a sony in my 91 explorer, and no sound from speakers???? followed wire diag. 5.9v from head unit to doors?? Whats up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you OEM radio have a amp located under the right rear cargo interior panel? If so, you might need to bypass that. Did you use an adapter wiring harness, or cut the OEM sheathed wires? Its always better to leave the OEM wiring in place and get adapters.

Most likely have a factory amp. It can be retained, but I would bypass it or run new wires to the doors. The factory amp doesn’t sound that great, and unless the radio you installed is very bottom line it’ll have just as much power.

@DAVID MAN
You could just buy a amp bypass wiring harness and remove to amp and just put that in that’s what I did on mine.

The last time the OP logged on was at the same time the thread was created. I don't think he will be back to view this.

My bad lol I’m still new to forum and all.

My bad lol I’m still new to forum and all.
No problem, you are right in that you can order amp bypass wiring and adaptor wiring for head unit. I did that probably 15 years ago with mine and keep using the same adaptor for new stereo's every few years. Wires are getting a little short, so might have to break down and spend $5-10 for next time.

No problem, you are right in that you can order amp bypass wiring and adaptor wiring for head unit. I did that probably 15 years ago with mine and keep using the same adaptor for new stereo's every few years. Wires are getting a little short, so might have to break down and spend $5-10 for next time.
That amp in the quarter panel was a pita to get to though lol.

Not if you pull the panel off first, then its easy. I have one of those cheapo trim removal tool sets that makes it easy.

Not if you pull the panel off first, then its easy. I have one of those cheapo trim removal tool sets that makes it easy.
Yeah that’s what I use got it from harbor freight but the darn panel clips broke lol.

hi people, Im Dave, I owned a smog shop here in california for 20+ years, i am retired and feel stupid for this issue, I put a sony in my 91 explorer, and no sound from speakers???? followed wire diag. 5.9v from head unit to doors?? Whats up?

This quote plus a mention @DAVID MAN should send another email notification and get the OP attention.

Back