1991 Explorer third brake light cover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Explorer third brake light cover

H20indicted

Reaction score
City, State
San Angelo, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Sport
Hey guys, does anybody know where I can find a third brake light lense/cover for my 1991 ex? I need to replace mine to pass inspection and I cant seem to find one anywhere. Any help would be awesome thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, does anybody know where I can find a third brake light lense/cover for my 1991 ex? I need to replace mine to pass inspection and I cant seem to find one anywhere. Any help would be awesome thanks!
They were not sold as just covers, they were sold as complete assemblys. You won't find one new anymore. You just won't. I don't think there is an aftermarket available anymore that is a direct fit either. You can find them in junk yards. By now most are crazed and fuzzy on explorers. I have found a couple good ones on Aerostars ('94-'97 used the same part).

If you find a semi decent one that doesn't have major cracks, just internal crazing, you can polish with novus and coat with clear enamel. Looks good from a far , but far from good. Sure that would pass. example:
KyQt1FX.jpg

0CN9TcN.jpg

maybe install a cheap aftermarket roof mount version just to pass.

Wow that looks pretty good, thanks for the tips. Mine is pretty toast and the junkyard near me only has a tanger from the same era otherwise its all 2000s+ year model vehicles.

IMG_20220507_151528920.jpg

yeah toast indeed. looks like maybe an incorrect bulb may have been put in there too. do you have the dual boot mount for the bulbs or the updated one piece?

Yeah definitely too hot of a bulb, it has a boot for each bulb so 2

Just reviewed the site t&c. Offering sales to "non-elite" members appears to be prohibited. If you sign up for the elite membership i'll sell the one above for $20 shipped, via paypal. The gasket on the back is useable. Won't have the bulb mount or bulbs.

I appreciate you're respect for the t&c. I do believe however that you misinterpreted that section. "Elite Explorers may not post attachments or for sale items for non-Elite members." All this means is that an elite explorer can not post for sale items for a non elite explorer because the non elite explorers are prohibited from selling but not from purchasing. I hope i explained that well enough :p

I appreciate you're respect for the t&c. I do believe however that you misinterpreted that section. "Elite Explorers may not post attachments or for sale items for non-Elite members." All this means is that an elite explorer can not post for sale items for a non elite explorer because the non elite explorers are prohibited from selling but not from purchasing. I hope i explained that well enough :p
yeah only elites can sell, anyone can buy (or at least thats my understanding)

You read it as "on behalf of" then? No non-elite proxy sales... Didn't consider it that way. Makes more sense I suppose, not accounting for enforceability.
My offer for $20 shipped stands then. I think they are normally sold on ebay (used, no cleanup) in excess of $60 when they show up. This was a test using UV resistant enamel, before I found the better ones on the aerostars.

Awesome, I'm definitely going to be interested in that if you want to message me. Yours sure looks better than mine :p

Damn... I should have pulled some of these this past week in the junkyards...

it always feels like when you get back feom the yard someone wants something you saw 🤣 not that ive been in a whike tho

I have one if you need one. Probably can scrounge up a second one too.

I might be interested in another one depending on how much you want for it. I live in west texas and the sun doesn't do these things any favors so may not be a bad Idea to have a back up

Damn... I should have pulled some of these this past week in the junkyards...
I pull them anytime there are good ones while I am there. There just haven't been good ones in a while. 94-97 aerostars don't show up often either.

Back