• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Solved 1991 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 oil filter removal.

Kcj

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991FordExplorer4DRSPUTIL
I can't get oil filter off. I tried a screwdriver in the bottom of it and still no luck. And why does the whole filter swivel up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
There is a 90 degree elbow adapter on the block so the filter points down. A Filter wrench cup socket is what I use with a ratchet or breaker bar.
Filter cup socket.jpg

Kcj

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
Thanks a lot! First ford and a little confusing.lol

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4

Kcj

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated!

Roadrunner777

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bemidji, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4 Sport 88k
By the way, there is another filter that works on this engine and is 2" longer, which gives you better access and filter performance. It's the Baldwin BT251, and it still tucks up nicely but gives you better grip access, a little better oil cooling, and Baldwin is known for heavy truck industrial filters. They are available on Amazon for about $12.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
By the way, there is another filter that works on this engine and is 2" longer, which gives you better access and filter performance. It's the Baldwin BT251, and it still tucks up nicely but gives you better grip access, a little better oil cooling, and Baldwin is known for heavy truck industrial filters. They are available on Amazon for about $12.
That is a good filter, Napa 1773 is a cross reference. I use it and like the extra oil capacity.

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
If the filter mount is swiveling like @RangerX pointed out you will need to visit the mount. There are 3ea O rings in the 91 4.0 oil filter mount that like to dry up and develop leaks....good time to replace them. On some trucks you will have to loosen the exhaust Y pipe to get access

This is the style wrench I use:
45FF23_AS01

47 Knuckle

Reaction score
City, State
Independence, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
I can't get oil filter off. I tried a screwdriver in the bottom of it and still no luck. And why does the whole filter swivel up?
Go to harbor freight and get this oil wrench! I had the same problem and this does the trick..You can get one like it from Hope Depot and its made by Huskey..

Pete Deering

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, nh
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 xlt 4 door 4x4
Performance tool makes spring load oil filter wrench, as you turn the filter off it turns the whole filter and tightens up at the same time. They offer two sizes small and large. About $18 each. Bin using then a long time. Ebay or amazon is selling then

Roadrunner777

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bemidji, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4 Sport 88k
Only because it has happened to me when I don't have a good oriented view... Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosy

Try to get some kind of wrap-around strap wrench as close to the filter base as you can get it. Slow steady torque. I'm really surprised stabbing it through with a screwdriver didn't break it loose though, always my last resort, always worked.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

rgjusa

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer EB
Don't forget to rub a little oil on the rubber seal when you put the new one back on again.

Kcj

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
Thanks for all the help! I thought Google was it. This forum rocks! I did get the oil filter off. It took a bicycle chain and a pair of vise grips, but hey it's off.lol

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Ive had the screwdriver trick fail before too.... and it was on a OHV where access sucks.
The driver just went through the whole filter body and then ripped it wide open all the way around....still filter did not turn.
That was the one time the screwdriver did not work
People turning the filter one more turn is not going to stop a leak its going to create new ones :) lol YOU do not need to hulk them into place

Hyde_Jeckyll

Reaction score
City, State
Crown King, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Ford Explorer

If you still can’t get it try close to the top of the filter with the screw driver and a bigger screw driver

umopepisdn

Reaction score
City, State
Spring Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT 4.0 sohc
I never have to use a tool to get my filter off. Just a dry towel and good ol hands. Filter should never be tightened using a tool. Just get it as snug as you can by hand. Then next oil change, you shouldn’t need a tool to remove it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
You cannot get a screw driver into the filter high up on a OHV< there is not much room to work!
Yes you are supposed to hand tighten filter and then go 1/4 turn......