Solved - 1991 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 oil filter removal. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1991 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 oil filter removal.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Kcj

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991FordExplorer4DRSPUTIL
I can't get oil filter off. I tried a screwdriver in the bottom of it and still no luck. And why does the whole filter swivel up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a 90 degree elbow adapter on the block so the filter points down. A Filter wrench cup socket is what I use with a ratchet or breaker bar.
Filter cup socket.jpg

Thanks a lot! First ford and a little confusing.lol

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated!

By the way, there is another filter that works on this engine and is 2" longer, which gives you better access and filter performance. It's the Baldwin BT251, and it still tucks up nicely but gives you better grip access, a little better oil cooling, and Baldwin is known for heavy truck industrial filters. They are available on Amazon for about $12.

By the way, there is another filter that works on this engine and is 2" longer, which gives you better access and filter performance. It's the Baldwin BT251, and it still tucks up nicely but gives you better grip access, a little better oil cooling, and Baldwin is known for heavy truck industrial filters. They are available on Amazon for about $12.
That is a good filter, Napa 1773 is a cross reference. I use it and like the extra oil capacity.

If the filter mount is swiveling like @RangerX pointed out you will need to visit the mount. There are 3ea O rings in the 91 4.0 oil filter mount that like to dry up and develop leaks....good time to replace them. On some trucks you will have to loosen the exhaust Y pipe to get access

This is the style wrench I use:
45FF23_AS01

I can't get oil filter off. I tried a screwdriver in the bottom of it and still no luck. And why does the whole filter swivel up?
Go to harbor freight and get this oil wrench! I had the same problem and this does the trick..You can get one like it from Hope Depot and its made by Huskey..

Performance tool makes spring load oil filter wrench, as you turn the filter off it turns the whole filter and tightens up at the same time. They offer two sizes small and large. About $18 each. Bin using then a long time. Ebay or amazon is selling then

Only because it has happened to me when I don't have a good oriented view... Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosy

Try to get some kind of wrap-around strap wrench as close to the filter base as you can get it. Slow steady torque. I'm really surprised stabbing it through with a screwdriver didn't break it loose though, always my last resort, always worked.

Don't forget to rub a little oil on the rubber seal when you put the new one back on again.

Thanks for all the help! I thought Google was it. This forum rocks! I did get the oil filter off. It took a bicycle chain and a pair of vise grips, but hey it's off.lol

Ive had the screwdriver trick fail before too.... and it was on a OHV where access sucks.
The driver just went through the whole filter body and then ripped it wide open all the way around....still filter did not turn.
That was the one time the screwdriver did not work
People turning the filter one more turn is not going to stop a leak its going to create new ones :) lol YOU do not need to hulk them into place

If you still can’t get it try close to the top of the filter with the screw driver and a bigger screw driver

I never have to use a tool to get my filter off. Just a dry towel and good ol hands. Filter should never be tightened using a tool. Just get it as snug as you can by hand. Then next oil change, you shouldn’t need a tool to remove it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You cannot get a screw driver into the filter high up on a OHV< there is not much room to work!
Yes you are supposed to hand tighten filter and then go 1/4 turn......

Back