1991 ford explorer 4x4 "the beast" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 ford explorer 4x4 "the beast"

This is my 1991 Ford explorer that i picked up for 600$ half a year ago. 4x4, power windows and mirrors. currently completely stock.

explorer_zpsb66239d1.jpg

In that time ive driven it exactly 1000 miles because every time ive driven it more than 400 miles its broken down. I dont even understand why i wont give up on this explorer and get another

The local shop around here has given it a nickname as the beast because they couldn't understand how it just kept running on about 4 volts because the cables were so corroded It just wont give up no matter how badly its 12 previous owners have treated it.

Repairs done so far

replaced transfer case
maf sensor
waterpump
wheel bearings
replaced airbox
new valve cover gaskets (car caught fire when they blew and spewwed oil everywhere)

Repairs that still need done
air blows warm no matter what (that intake is melted because leaves caught fire around the area) happened before i bought it
radiator cant be topped off because a crack near the top (my fault when i did waterpump)
exhaust is so bad it knocks against the frame rails and is full of holes
rear passenger door wont open period
rear diff is humming and on its way out
needs some rust fixed
needs a new rab sensor but for now i can live without abs
parking brake works but is stuck on if used

WP_20130805_001_zps73e13803.jpg

But in the end it has always started for me and the engine has great compression.

IMG_20130207_160022_zps35a6e178.jpg

Back