1991 Ford Mustang replaced A4LD transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Ford Mustang replaced A4LD transmission

rositanaomi

Reaction score
City, State
Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Mustang A4ld
I really need help! Please dummy it down for me :) I needed to replace the transmission (A4LD) in a 1991 Ford Mustang LX. I purchased a 1990 A4LD transmission, got it installed and the 3/4 OD plug doesn't fit in the 1990 transmission.
I know the 1991 is electric....I'm awaiting a reply from the company I purchased the transmission from. I've read things about installing a switch...or that I got the wrong transmission.
I'm really frustrated....sharing a car with the kids is impossible.
Is there a way to make this transmission work with my car? Going to pick a part tomorrow.....

I really need help! Please dummy it down for me :) I needed to replace the transmission (A4LD) in a 1991 Ford Mustang LX. I purchased a 1990 A4LD transmission, got it installed and the 3/4 OD plug doesn't fit in the 1990 transmission.
I know the 1991 is electric....I'm awaiting a reply from the company I purchased the transmission from. I've read things about installing a switch...or that I got the wrong transmission.
I'm really frustrated....sharing a car with the kids is impossible.
Is there a way to make this transmission work with my car? Going to pick a part tomorrow.....

I see that this is an old post and the OP probably isn't interested any more, but it seems an easy question to answer..

The replacement gearbox in an A4LDe and the original was an A4LDE which features a 3-4 solenoid. The plug is a three pin and the socket is now a two pin. My solution would have been to put the right box in and if not possible, then just ignore the electronic shift as the box will handle it hydraulically. If the two pin plug isn't available, it can be done with a pair of push on terminals.

Back