Solved - 1991 Mazda Navajo Manual transfer case? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1991 Mazda Navajo Manual transfer case?

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

NavajoHeadAche

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Mazda Navajo
Hey everyone!

So I bought this Navajo a year ago with 97K on it. I thought it looked like a nice truck and would be decent with the lower mileage. It test drove fine but on the way home it became apparent the A/T was bad and would shift properly. So I had a new one installed. Then a few months later the front left wheel hub broke which gave me 3 wheel drive. The "push button 4x4" rarely works and I have to press it repeatedly, or turn the truck off and back on and keep trying to finally get it into 4x4. I think the entire system is trash.

Is there a way to convert the push button 4x4 to a manual type? I wasn't sure if there was a part that might replace the weak servo with a lever and cable.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, the auto hubs don't last forever, and your 22 year old ones are way past their expiration date! Get manual hubs.

For the T-case, you can swap in a whole manual shift case, or bolt on a Shiftster to replace the shift motor.

This is great, but do they have one with a cable and mountable shift lever? I don't 4 wheel this truck for recreation. I only need the 4 wheel occasionally when I am at the beach. It would be a really pita to have to crawl underneath the truck each time I back my jet ski into the water.

2¢ This sounds like shift motor problems. I suggest checking these 2 threads out:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202166

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542

There is a little rubber bumper that tends to get squished up and cause such issues.

To your direct question, I have read about many attempts at a manual shift linkage for this transfer case. They all seemed to be a lot of fabrication, and experimenting. If that's your thing, look around... the threads are here somewhere.

This is great, but do they have one with a cable and mountable shift lever? I don't 4 wheel this truck for recreation. I only need the 4 wheel occasionally when I am at the beach. It would be a really pita to have to crawl underneath the truck each time I back my jet ski into the water.
Somebody makes and sells one that's really nice quality for around $350. You could buy and install a manual case for lots less.
The shiftster is $50. For the price, it's not that hard top reach under and shift, I did that for years, before finally swapping in a manual.
I'd give fixing the motor a shot, using Roadrunner's links. It's free, and not hard.

Ok I'll look for those. I think I know the pictures you're talking about. The ones that depict the broken bushing. Would this also cause the Hi-Low range to become intermittent? I got stuck in low last night and it was aggravating driving down the street with a 45 mph top speed.

Ok so I went through the servo and found the bushing was broken into crumbs. I made a steel bushing from a spacer and replaced it. It works perfect now like never before! Instant shifting with the buttons without any delay or malfunction!

I installed the new wheel hub and everything works like new. I used to have to repeatedly press the button, or listen to the relay clicking as it tried to engage. I thought it just wasn't lining up in the transfer case, but it was that bushing all along.

Thanks for the info guys! I REALLY appreciate it!

Great news! Thanks for letting us know.

Did you have stock front end? Because if you do, you haven't had any power going to either wheel if you lose a hub.the front stock is an open, for it to work both hubs HAVE to be locked in.....

Back