1991 Mazda Navajo rear diff question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Mazda Navajo rear diff question

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes. They come from the factory on ford explorers and mazda navajos. You want an axle from a vehicle with an axle code on the door tag that starts with a D. Do you know what gearing your rear end has right now?

Rebuild the clutch pack. It's cheap and you can make it lock up pretty good if you add an extra clutch disk and use the Ford Motorsport carbon disks. I did this back in May. Stock disks wear pretty quickly. Not sure about the life on these yet.

yes. They come from the factory on ford explorers and mazda navajos. You want an axle from a vehicle with an axle code on the door tag that starts with a D. Do you know what gearing your rear end has right now?

ok well, mine has an open diff, and i wanted to go to a limited slip. your information should help me. and no, i dont currently know the diff gearing; how do i find out when its not in plain sight on the diff housing?

EDIT: ok, i looked at the door panel, and according to the sticker, it says axle: 45, and just to throw this out there, its got a manual trans. (i hates autos)

EDIT (again) actually, im familiar with open diffs, and i know that if you spin one tire, the other tire spins the opposite direction. when i spin one tire, the other tire does nothing. that part stumped me.

EDIT (again) actually, im familiar with open diffs, and i know that if you spin one tire, the other tire spins the opposite direction. when i spin one tire, the other tire does nothing. that part stumped me.

When unloaded (both rear wheels off the ground) you are correct that the opposite wheel will rotate the other way. When loaded, the wheel with less traction will spin and the other will not move, it will not go the other way...

Code 45 is open 3.55 gear. From the chart I'm looking at there was not a 3.55 limited slip stock. Is yours 2wd or 4wd?

When unloaded (both rear wheels off the ground) you are correct that the opposite wheel will rotate the other way. When loaded, the wheel with less traction will spin and the other will not move, it will not go the other way...

Code 45 is open 3.55 gear. From the chart I'm looking at there was not a 3.55 limited slip stock. Is yours 2wd or 4wd?

4WD, and yes, i understand that only one tire will spin when loaded, but im talking while still off the ground; while on jack stands.

if you spin one tire, either the other tire has to turn the opposite way, or the driveshaft could be turning if the trans is in neutral.

So, what are your plans for this truck? Why do you want an LS? Are you going to play in the dirt?

If you have a 3:55 and are 2wd, just go up to a limited slip 3:73 rear end. The door code will be D4. Otherwise, if you are 4wd, put in a locker, it will be easier, and better for offroading unless you are just planning on playing in dirt.

If you have a 3:55 and are 2wd, just go up to a limited slip 3:73 rear end. The door code will be D4. Otherwise, if you are 4wd, put in a locker, it will be easier, and better for offroading unless you are just planning on playing in dirt.

like i said, its a 4wd, i still want an LSD, i had a Subaru GL with LSD rear end and i loved it; great when snow drifting. is there a different code for the 4wd LSD?

also, some info on my use of the rig. its my 1991 Navajo. im not a serious off roader, just the occasional hit a path here and there. i do quiet a bit of towing and snow driving, and this quick sucker loves to stomp; and im tired of spinning just one tire. the 3:73 gearing would definitely be better seeing as i tow (20 foot Reinell and a 4 spot snowmobile trailer; both dual axle) where can i get the diff, and how much will it cost? (just a ballpark estimate would be great so i know how much i need)

and thanks for all the help you guys have given me so far.

You can pull it from a 1991-1994 and its a direct swap.. You can get one from a 2nd gen explorer if you want disc brakes (there are threads about using 2nd gen explorer rears to get disc brakes on the rear of a 1st gen).

Either way, you'll still have to change the front diff ratio to match the rear.

Your door tag says you don't have a limited slip as the LS was not offered in 3.55 ratio. Just lift the rear end, put it on jack stands and rotate the drive shaft (put it in neutral of course). If the tires spin the same direction you have a limited slip (doubt it). Any other action means you have an open diff.

If theory, if the other tire doesn't do anything it is possible you have an extremely worn out LS but its very unlikely. The only way to tell is to pull the cover and look at the carrier itself.

~Mark

A limited slip was not offered in the 3:55 ratio like Maniak said, so you would either have to take apart the diff and add limited slip or a locker, or you would have to change both axles to a different gear ratio.

Maniak, depending on the condition of the brakes, seals and bearings, on an open diff, the other tire will either spin the other way or one will move twice as fast a it should given the input while the other will stay still. Just saying, if the brakes are dragging on one side for instance, the other side may spin while the one stays still.

cool. thanks for the help on that. now, how to i change the front ratio??? also, i was wondering about the LS on the rear, and putting a locker on the front. would this idea work out all right? or would i have 4wd problems?

change front diffs or change gears in the diff.

If your still interested in the LS. I used this page to get some good info on a better way to build it. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/rebuild_tractionlock.htm

As for the gears, you have to first decide what gears you want to install. I can tell you that 3.73 sucked with 31s and more so with 32s. I now have 4.56. I think with 50/50 dirt and pavement, 4.56 and 33s are great. If it's mostly pavement, I would think 4.10 is best. You can find 4.10 gears in Explorers. But I tried and they are rare. Best thing to do is buy ring and pinion sets and install them. Also replace all the seals and bearings in the carriers and axle tubes. Just to be sure.

Get an 8.8 limited slip carrier or install a detroit l/s locker, either way retains your gears you just have to reset them with a new carrier.

To swap the front is a lot more involved than the rear is. You basically have to dismantle the whole front end (more or less). The rear can be done with the axle in the truck.

I would suggest pulling a donor rear axle from a 95+ because the disk brakes are way better. I did it the hard way, and I strongly recommend swapping the axle as a whole then swap the brakes only. If I were not such a cheap broke ******* i would have done it that way.

The front is more work. There are many write ups about it. If you have the tools and skills, it can be done in a day or less.
Learn from my mistake, check the run out of the carrier before you dismantle it. If it's > .02, you will need a new housing. Also, go ahead and replace all bearings, races, and seals. Might as well do it right the first time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for the rear, go pull out a 8.8 rear axle from a 2nd gen exploder. 3.73 or 4.10, whichever you want. if you ever want a locker, get an open axle. if you really want ls, get an ls.
with that axle, you will need a master cylinder from a 95 and ONLY a 95 exploder. with NO proportioning valve and NO cruise. thats the only one that will correct the braking power to match your new discs on the rear.
being you tow, rear discs will help. another thing, grab the sway bar from the 2nd gen axle also. its thicker and better.

as stated, its open if you spin one rotor forward and the other one goes reverse. and its ls if they both go the same direction. if only the one youre spinning spins and the other one sits there, leave and find another axle.

for the front. youre getting an open. no way around it. and only from a 91-94 first gen. if you got a rear 3.73 axle, get a 3.73 front pumpkin. just swap the whole thing to avoid setting the gears.
if you decide on 4.10 for the rear. buy the 4.10 online, reverse cut, and have someone put them in your current pumpkin. 1% chance youll find a 4.10 axle, im not sure they exist.

Back