• Register Today It's free!

1991 oil leak

Incognito892

Reaction score
City, State
glen mills, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
My XLT is leaking oil somehow, someway. I changed the oil and filter about a month and half ago. a few days ago the check oil light came on and i had to put a liter and half in. i also changed the drain plug. so i dont know where else it will be leaking from. buddy of mine checked out the seals around the pan, they are fine. he's tellin me it might be the oil level sensor or the oil pressure switch.

anybody have any idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it shows it after it has been parked? any drips or puddles of oil under the motor?

Also what it the mileage of the truck. If it was low you are using oil or losing it through drips or leaks.

looking under the engine while the truck is parked, there are no drips. looking at the spot where the truck was parked, there are no major spots, if any period.

there are about 167k miles.

Humm.....Well you are using oil inside the engine. If you are not dripping or leaking you are most likely buring the oil. Does it smoke when you start it or get on the gas.

I dont know what could be with the oil level sensor since it came on and it was actully low. mine when it comes on means it is a quart low or so.

there isnt any smoke that i notice when i start it up or get on it. on several occasions i would have to race over to school so i wouldnt be late, so the engine wouldnt be warmed up enough. thats the only thing that i can think of.

use ur dipstick to see what ur oil level is if it is good and your light is still on then go from there also check to see if your valve covers are leaking

Back