1991 to 1994 Stereo...need help quick!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 to 1994 Stereo...need help quick!!!!

Triton46

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
I won an auction on ebay and got a 1994 Ford Explorer stereo. Upon removing my 1991 stereo, I have found one key difference...the speaker connections.

The power connection is the same and the antennae goes to the same connector. The speaker connection on my 1991 looks exactly like my power connection (one long bar). On the 94, the connection appears to be two different connection points, however they are in the same area.

Has anyone rewired the speaker connections for a stereo like this? I have a diagram of which wires from the 1991 harness go to which speakers, however, the 1994 stereo has no diagram of what goes where. I have one of the male connector but not the second or third (I beleive the third is for a remote cd player).

I also need to know where I could get a the male wire connectors to plug into the 1994 stereo once I have it put together.

Help is needed soon, the whole dash is on the front lawn.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The easiest thing to do without cutting and splicing all kinds of wires is to go to circuit city or some car stereo shop and pick up the 91 adapters and then splice that into the 94 wires but from what it sounds like you dont have the adapters for the 94 radio. That kinda sucks. Ford will probably have one of those and if not I'm sure they could order one. Good luck. If anyone knows of an easier way please correct me.

OK, I just read this:

Electrical:
The electrical connectors were the same from 1990 through 1994. Base systems had two flat-bladed vertical connectors - one for Power, and one for Speakers. Premium and Audiophile systems
used the same Power connector, but had shielded cable connections to the amplifier. There was another 6-pin shielded connector for interface to a remote CD changer.

My 91 has the two 'flat-bladed' connections. The 94 has a shielded 6-pin (which I have the connector for), a shielded 8-pin (speakers ?), and a shielded 2-pin (?).

The 'flat-bladed' connection on the 94 (is that for power?) has 8 connections but my 1991 'flat-bladed' (definately for power) has 7. j

Were getting close.

1)Where can I get a connector for the 8-pin speaker connection and is that the speaker connection?

2)Is the 'flat-bladed' connection the power connection on the 1994?

Here is the information on the radios:

This is the one in my 1991:
-19B132- Midline AM/FM/Cassette

This is the one I bought from a 1994:
-19B165- Premium AM/FM/Cassette (1990-97)

Maybe someone can tell me what the pins are in the eight pin connector, then I can make my own harness.

I assume all my grounds/speaker coninside to the pins...but the radio has no diagram. Does anyone have a diagram or can tell me what 1 - 8 represent?

Well it is most likely going to alternate between + and - for all 4 speakers. I wouldnt try making my own harness. I would go to ford on monday and get the correct harness. I know your dash it all apart but I think it is better and easier to get the correct equipment.

Agreed. I went to Wal-Mart and got the 91 wire harness which plugs into my dash and leaves wires to be used in the 94 harness.

The power is a direct plug in. I can see the clock, radio stations, play/rewind/ff tapes, etc...so I know the radio works. On Monday, I will get the harness for speakers and wire it up. Thanks guys for the help...I'm just glad I can see what time it is (after 6 years)...but I still want sound.

the only problem is that you dont have a factory amp. the premium radio does not put out any power. it needs the external amp or you will not get any sound. so now you need to buy a factory amp if you want to use that headunit:banghead:

My 1991 Midline has two empty spaces on the vehicle harness for the amp and the 1991 radio has the two blades to accept the amp.

The 1994 radio is the same way. There are two blades on the power 'flat-bladed' connector for an amp and the radio has two spaces for those two blades.

The speaker connections on the radio are independent of the power connections. If I can find the harness to plug into the radio, I can have sound.

This setup is the exact same as the 1991, except, the 1994 uses a 8-pin square harness instead of a 'flat-bladed' connection for the speakers.

While I was at Walmart, I found the 'from vehicle' harness for the 1994 Premium. It has a flat bladed connector for power and two optional connections to the radio for speaker. I just need the 'from radio' connector.:mad:

OK...leenjen got me thinking (bad thing) :)

Do I need the amp for this radio? The only thing I can compare to is my old radio.

1991: Has 4 pos/4 neg speaker connections on the radio
1994: Has 4pos/4 neg speaker connections on the radio

1991: Has 1 connection for amp (no amp).
1994: Has 1 connection for amp (no amp).

I don't understand the wiring.

If the amp powers the speakers then why are there 4pos/4neg speaker connections on the 1994 radio?

Originally posted by Triton46

If the amp powers the speakers then why are there 4pos/4neg speaker connections on the 1994 radio?

to keep the signals seperate.... an amp may be needed.....

I created my own 8 pin harness and plugged it into the radio. I have sound...but its horrible. The front speakers always sounded bad, but not this bad. Turning the volume up above halfway makes the music, especially the base, gives a really bad sound....like all the speakers have been cut open.

How would I wire an amp into my current setup? Coming from the car, I have:

Power
--------
Memory Feed
Chassis Ground
Radio Power Feed
Panel Illumination
Radio Display
Radio Ground
Power Antennae -- Empty
Power On Amp -- Empty

Speaker
----------
R Front (+)
R Front (-)
L Front (+)
L Front (-)
R Rear(+)
R Rear(-)
L Rear(+)
L Rear(-)

What goes to the amp and what goes to the radio? What comes with the amp?

Back