1991 v8 swap and other stuff | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 v8 swap and other stuff

So, new swap I have committed to doing :) take your guess on what is going in and let the hybrid hate begin :mad:

I will also be swapping to a d44 ttb while I have all this room to knock them rivets out. My goal is to have this all done by july. I will attempt to take as much pictures as possible and a few videos too.

p.s. the wiring job in the explorer engine bay is such a mess :/

Attachments

• 00h0h_7wwPYNcW0zq_600x450.jpg
    00h0h_7wwPYNcW0zq_600x450.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 436
  • 00L0L_3F4VVQO3W8l_600x450.jpg
    00L0L_3F4VVQO3W8l_600x450.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 393
  • GU4004-assembled.JPG
    GU4004-assembled.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 415

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The truck

20131211_135104.jpg

Todays work

20140123_171348.jpg

That travel :)

Hybrid hate? Where's the electric motors???

lol, hybrid as in ford/chevy

Oh, lol I got excited when I read "hybrid" started thinking of a big V8 and a couple of AC motors for some extra umph :D

Decided on the lq4 6.0l motor. From the dimensions i have found and seeing the oil pan it should fit in without to many problems. Changed my mind from the th350 to the 4l60e, overdrive = higher axle gears and still be able to drive on the highway :). Depending on how much $$ i have left over after i get engine/tranny put in there will determine whether i go with an np241 (2.78 low?) or dish out some money for the huge 300lb 203/205 doubler (4:1 low and 2wd low and fwd selection). Has anyone put the np205 between our frame rails, how well does it fit :).

Nothing to add, just in for updates. :D

I'll be watching this closely. 'm doing a SAS, 351w, C6, 1356 swap into my '03 Sport Trac. would've gone and still might do an older SBF but I picked up the full truck ('89 F-250) for $300.

If you're doing a SAS you don't need the crossmember under the engine so you'll have plenty of room for any style oil pan, just saying. I like the idea of the newer Chevy drivetrain.

yea the ls motors are just to good to pass up. Found the motor and its on its way. Very excited.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sand-Rail-H...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1748e35f&vxp=mtr

those may bolt the motor right in to the stock mounts with a little bit of firewall negotiation.

It seems to be coming together. 4 things i need to sort out, how much power the frame will take without mods, how well the stock frame motor mounts will hold up, the normal header/steering linkage clearance and the power steering pump/ steering box clearance.

may need to either

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/F-Bod...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPj2iL_Nw7wCFQWTfgodE1EARQ

or get a front mount steering box to work with the ttb system

gonna need a new set of tires for street use, maybe some paddles too. Sand drag this soon to be 400hp+ monster :D

keep updates, I plan to build a 5.3 D44 TTB Ranger in future!! I really like the LS engines also. I put one in my 97 Jeep, for wiring help LT1swap.com has very good LS wiring info, its not that difficult just time consuming. The 4l60E is nice, that's what I'm using, don't forget the computer requires a VSS chevy 40 pulse input signal for correct shifting, I'm usingf advanced adapters sensor between t-case and tranny, but if did over again, I would get NP241C with fixed front output, then get super short sye kit that retains sensor in the transfercase rear output.

WOOO!! got the motor today. Took forever because of the storms in the north east lol. It looks insanely huge compared to the stock motor, like twice as big :D. Steering is going to be interesting, maybe just flip the manifolds and go twin turbo. How does a 600 rwhp explorer sound haha.

So the d44 ttbs should be somewhat ok on the light truck runing 37s(i CRAWL) But how about running 33" street slicks a 3500 stall TC and running it in 4wd at the strip lol, i can see those ttbs just getting chewed out.

Going to be craigslisting the old tranny, 35 ttb with warn hubs, some 2 inch spacers and stock transfer case with the shiftster on it :)

also contimplating moving the engine crossmember 2 inches forward therefor the ttb 2 inches forward, just for more approach angle/wheelbase. Has anyone seen this done? (not just pushing the arms forward via radius arms and then aligning) This would also help the 37s with only a 4 inch lift :). Doesn't look like too much work aside from the odd shaped frame on driver side for the steering box :p

Anyways, I will try to take some pics tomorrow, going to the zoo :).

Back