1991 XLT SAS Tech Input Needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 XLT SAS Tech Input Needed

I own a 1991 Xlt 4x4 automatic 4ALD tranny 4dr with manual locking hubs and manual transfer-case! I would like to here from you guys that have already done a SAS on your ride! What is the the best axles to use !!!Leafs or coils is my next question ,or should i just lift the TTB .I like soild axles and if your going to spend $1200 to $1500 on a ttb lift I would think a SAS is the way to go!! So HELP ME DECIDE PLEASE:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What lift should i use if i decide to go that route and a link would be great or brand and size of lift:exp:

Best Choice of SAS on a 91 XLT 4dr

Hello guy's I need some SAS ideas I'm thinking of doing a SAS on my 91 4x4 xlt 4.0 automatic tranny, manual locking hubs and manual transfer case .What is the best setup >>>>Front Axle>>>>Rear Axle>>>Leaf Springs >>>or Coils and all parts do i need to get:exp:

for a TTB D35 lift.. alot of poeple are using the Rough Country 4" lift. make sure you also buy a drop pitman arm from them, itll help reduce bumpsteer and correct some of the steering.

are you planning on doing a spring over axle conversion for the rear? or do you want lift springs for the rear? take a look at www.RoughCountry.com, look at the lift for a 91-97 ford ranger, there is a scroll box for the Explorer kit. the full kit is a little pricey, but worth it!

i purchased the drop pitman arm $60, 4" front springs $125, and 4" drop brackets for the axle pivots $225 and 4" ext shocks $120. for the back i already had warrior shackles and AAL.. front is a solid 4" and the rear using AAL and shackles is 3". im in the hunt for lift leaf packs as we speak.

whatever you choose.. keep us posted, and good luck

you can check the link in my signature for some info on the setup and other things i have done to my explorer.

Okay so I guess this will work a 4"inch Rough Country ttb lift with SOA in the rear and 2"inch f150 coil seats in the front will give me 6 inches of lift.and to top it off get a 3 inch body lift.So what do you think will that work!!:exp:

that sounds great.. but do you really need the body lift with 6" of suspension lift?

dont forget about the alignment after the suspension lift, you will need adjustable camber bushings.. might want to put those in yourself b4 you take it to get it aligned, most shops charge alot to install them.

i went with just the 4" kit and it leveled out the front and i didnt need the camber bushings.. but if you go for more lift than the drop brackets are made for you will need them.

Here is the X
100_2484.jpg
100_2485.jpg
100_2483.jpg
Stock:exp:

Been in the family since 91 need some TLC and lifted never been off-road I bought it from my stepson and he bought it from his uncle I have own Toyota's 4x4's and 4wheeling them for about 12 years so 4wheeling is my thing!Never owned a explorer til now I've had it about 1 year:exp:

I would advise against 9 inches of lift! That is for street queens only, unless you plan on running 38s, and the axles won't handle that!

I like BDS lift kits -- the brakets are better than Rough Country, and everything is lifetime.

What size tires are you trying to run? Makes a difference.

ok thanks ,I not going with body lift 33 or 35 and on the SOA what axle perches should i use

and also does the lift kits on a ranger fit a explorer

The best choice is really a matter of opinion, there are many ways you can go about it. Your in the right area so have a look around and see what suits your needs best;)

Threads merged -- pantherXLT please keep all your SAS ideas in this thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, 33-35" tires, what are you going to use the truck for? Mudding? Hunting/camping? Pavement pounder? Rock crawling? If its going to be a trail rig i would go ahead and do an SAS... everything else i would just lift it and re-gear.

Back