1992 Aerostar with a starting problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Aerostar with a starting problem.

jlh3rd

Reaction score
City, State
new cumberland, pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 aerostar
i have a 1992 aerostar, 3.0, 260,000 miles....the van starts perfectly on the first time....and after it sits a long time.....but if it sits about 5 mins after running it, you have to hold the gas pedal to the floor, crank a little, stop, then crank normally , then it starts...with a gas smell......the van runs fine, no engine codes, no stumbling, missing..and fuel pressures tested normal as did the fuel regulator.......the fuel pressure didn't bleed down either....so, i'm kinda stumped...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clean the idle air control solenoid. Replace it if it doesn't help. Clean the mass air flow sensor, and the intake manifold too. How old is the engine coolant temperature sensor? Check its resistance with the chart in my list of useful threads, and replace it if it's out of specification.

the iac was replaced about 6 years ago....i will check/replace it..........i cleaned the maf about 7 months ago....and replaced the coolant temp sensor also at that time.........i do run a 160 thermostat but i've been doing that for over ten years and this problem started about a year ago...

Hi, I am doing my research on the exact same problem for my 92 aerostar and i have read that the problem maybe the engine coolant temperature sensor. Not the water temp sende who makes the gauge in the dash works. They are two different sensors. Anyway, I havent tried it yet. Busy for a while :( Just wanted to share my findings. Hope it helps. ;)
Please let me know if you already found what it was or if this indeed was the problem. Have a nice day! :aerostar:

thanks.....i have the service manual...and i looked for that sensor location and couldn't find it...and i can't find where there are 2 sensors......so, if someone can show/tell me where both are..i can see which one i replaced....

I too have a 1992 Aerostar with a 3.0L. THE WATER TEMPERATURE SENDER, which controls the temp gauge, is in the front of the engine right above the water pump. Like BrooklynBay said, it has a threaded post where a single wire connector goes.
THE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR, which sends the information to the computer so it can make its magic with the gas/air mixture, is located right next to the thermostat housing (where the big top hose from the radiator goes to). This sensor has a two wire connector. This is the one that could be the reason of your problem. Good Luck :)

Don't confuse the engine coolant temperature sensor with the air charge temperature sensor on the back of the intake manifold. They look identical with the exception of the opening for air on the air sensor.

Air charge temperature sensor:
a20792013048145e427f7d_m.JPG

Engine coolant temperature sensor:
ect.jpg

Temperature sending unit:

(sigh).....and that's what i was afraid of...it WAS the coolant temp sensor i replaced..........

Back