• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer intake tube

logeorge

Reaction score
City, State
Ardmore, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Is there a source for the intake tube that runs between the throttle body and the mass airflow sensor? Mine is patched together from parts of two using 3M trim cement and hose clamps! I used to see them on Ebay, Wish etc. but they don't show up now. I suppose I could build one from metal tubing and rubber hoses from the parts store, if I can figure out what will fit and still clear the hood and fan shroud. The set-up has to be air tight or the MAF sensor goes haywire and the thing will hardly run at all if there are any air leaks. L. O. G.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't seen them available for a while online either. Junkyard for that one.

Junkyard or I would heat up PVC pipe and mold into shape.

Junkyard or I would heat up PVC pipe and mold into shape.
Any I've found in a junkyard are as bad as, or worse than mine. Ford hasn't used this type since about 1994. I thought about using PVC pipe. Do you think it would stand the heat? it's right behind the radiator. I guess it wouldn't cost much to try, though. If it fails I'll be no worse off than I am now.

Any I've found in a junkyard are as bad as, or worse than mine. Ford hasn't used this type since about 1994. I thought about using PVC pipe. Do you think it would stand the heat? it's right behind the radiator. I guess it wouldn't cost much to try, though. If it fails I'll be no worse off than I am now.
ABS pipe will withstand the heat. I made a dirt cheap intake from black ABS pipe for my 99 grand Cherokee and it has held up for over 10 years. If you use PVC, the grey is higher temp rated.

ABS pipe will withstand the heat. I made a dirt cheap intake from black ABS pipe for my 99 grand Cherokee and it has held up for over 10 years. If you use PVC, the grey is higher temp rated.
I order a "CAI" kit off of eBay because I sucked water in through one of the broken air diverter lines under the stock box that is ridiculously low and blew the motor. 100bucks I think? You put it together using stock MAF and remove all the air diverter stuff and plug one of the vacuum lines that runs to the stock diverter temp sensor.

Thanks for the info. I'll try it as soon as I can get to it. The patched-together tube is working for now, but it's just a matter of time until it fails. Can you heat up the ABS pipe and shape it? It will probably need to be flattened where it crosses the fan shroud for hood clearance.

Thanks for the info. I'll try it as soon as I can get to it. The patched-together tube is working for now, but it's just a matter of time until it fails. Can you heat up the ABS pipe and shape it? It will probably need to be flattened where it crosses the fan shroud for hood clearance.
ABS can be heated to bend.

PVC (Polyvinyl chloride) Chemical Compatibility Chart
shows suitability for interaction with motor oil and gasoline.

interaction with motor oil is "fair", gasoline "severe"

hdpe good interaction with gasoline, &motor oil.

A lot of first gens have been hitting the junkyards around here , I've seen a few in excellent condition. I guess I'll start picking them.

And it looks like maybe replacements can be purchased new from ebay... hope nobody here is on this list Item Purchase History

I order a "CAI" kit off of eBay because I sucked water in through one of the broken air diverter lines under the stock box that is ridiculously low and blew the motor. 100bucks I think? You put it together using stock MAF and remove all the air diverter stuff and plug one of the vacuum lines that runs to the stock diverter temp sensor.
I went that route. Here's what I found out:
Positives: It makes loud vroom noise when I punch it. Also it looks cool

Negatives:
It sucks in hot air, so after your engine comes to temp, you lose like 25% of your power.
The mounting bracket sucks, so it just flops around inside the bay unless you make your own mount with stronger metal.
If you are young like me, you'll notice a high pitch whistle noise while cruising on the highway that is very annoying. Not sure what exactly is making that noise, but it's annoying.

Take away:
I was able to shape the hoses they provided, and wrapped them to insulate them from the heat of the engine, and retained my stock air box.
All issues have gone away that I was having with the aftermarket intake filter setup.
I put a little K&N type oil filter on the breather hose part where the oil fill is to avoid splashy oil.

I went that route. Here's what I found out:
Positives: It makes loud vroom noise when I punch it. Also it looks cool

Negatives:
It sucks in hot air, so after your engine comes to temp, you lose like 25% of your power.
The mounting bracket sucks, so it just flops around inside the bay unless you make your own mount with stronger metal.
If you are young like me, you'll notice a high pitch whistle noise while cruising on the highway that is very annoying. Not sure what exactly is making that noise, but it's annoying.

Take away:
I was able to shape the hoses they provided, and wrapped them to insulate them from the heat of the engine, and retained my stock air box.
All issues have gone away that I was having with the aftermarket intake filter setup.
I put a little K&N type oil filter on the breather hose part where the oil fill is to avoid splashy oil.
Exactly what I did. Not sure how much power you lose with hot air, honestly the stock airbox wasn't much better. Better then vacuum leaks. Maybe il do a outside cold air ram for it one day but all I cared was no water inside my engine.

Back