• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer new member

swells244

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL
I just trade for this Explorer and ight off the bat I had over heating problems.I didn't know about this forum then , so after much trail and error I finally fixed my problem.I replaced thermostat and was going to replace the fan clutch until I saw all the cracks in the fan. So I took my trusty tape measure and went to pullapart .I found a electric fan on a 1986 Chevy Cavalier with the shroud that measured almost 17" square. It mounts by three mounting tabs.
I cut the tabs off and picked up some 2" L brackets.I mounted the L brackets so the shroud set 1/16 " off the radiator.I mounted the assy.all the way to the drivers side of the radiator and all the way to the bottom of the core.When I mounted every thing back in the truck the water pump threaded shaft was touching the fan motor so I removed the assy and took my trusty 4" grinder to the water pump and removed about 3/16" from the shaft and reinstalled.I added an adjustable fan controller from Autozone. When I finally got the cooling system bled out and did 2 or 3 hot cool down cycles it now works great.
My temp guage comes up half way then the thermostat opens and fan comes on.Normal highway driving my gauge hand sets on the N and setting in traffic it goes just above the O and sets here.
So all is good in KY.Now if I can stop the pinging problem Ill be a happy man.
This is the first Ford Ive owned in 25 years.My current ride is a 1986 S10 blazer that has served me well but its a bit under powered.Ill give the Explorer a couple weeks if it suites me Ill keep it.
Steve:usa:

My '92 had pinging problems also. First thing to check is to make sure the air tube between the maf and the throttle body isn't ripped and there are no other vacuum leaks. Clean the maf and run some sea foam through the engine (do a search for the how too on both). If this still doesn't fix the problem (like mine) run mid grade fuel in it and you should be good to go.

Back