1992 Explorer question on leaking anti freeze | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer question on leaking anti freeze

Jon741

Reaction score
City, State
Pasco Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Here is my post from the "New Members" forum
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348615

I just got a 1992 Ford explorer XLT, with 172k miles on it. After a few small repairs like the brakes, I looked underneath after I started my truck and a pretty consistant drip was leaking down that was the neon green color of anti freeze. I got underneath and tried to pinpoint the location of the leak, but could only see that it was leaking down from above where the transmission meets the oil pan.

Its a new leak, and only leaks when the truck is running.

Any tips on what to do next would be appreciated.

I tried to sneak my phone in to take a picture and this was the best I could get.

truckleak.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would guess it is probably an intake gasket leak.

Mine was dripping on the front driver side behind the A/C and Power steer pump

It could be anything, from a gasket on the engine to a loose hose connection. I've had leaks from loose water pump bolts, leaks at the heater core from worn out hose clamps, and leaks at the water pump/radiator hoses from using worm drive clamps. Hopefully it's something easy, but if coolant is running down the block, it might be a gasket or freeze plug.

If it only leaks when the truck is running, start the engine, set the parking brake, chock the wheels, and then trace the leak back to it's source. Sometimes this is easier at night or in the dark using a flashlight.

Its a new leak, and only leaks when the truck is running.
Which usually means it only leaks when the cooling system is under pressure. One tool for tracing cooling system leaks is a cooling system pressure tester. It attaches to the radiator and pressurizes the system. Then you can sit and trace the leak all you want. Autozone (and perhaps other parts stores) offer these as rental or loaner tools, so it doesn't have to cost much to use one.

Cool guys thanks for the suggestions. I told a few people I know what was going on and they suggested to check into the freeze plugs. The leak just stopped on its own, but I'm sure it will be back and I'll keep you guys posted!

Back