Solved - 1992 Explorer wont start once it is warm | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1992 Explorer wont start once it is warm

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
What if there was a mandatory 55 MPH maximum speed limit? Would the U.S.A. use less fuel?
I don't think so cause most cars get their best economy above 55 mph now, even my 87 ranger gets better mpg at 60 than 55.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Josh P I should have gone on to say that if the speed limit was 55 then people would drive 60 to 65 instead of way faster than that.
I bet about a third to half of the people here never knew that in 1974 the Federal Government passed a 55 speed limit law. The number of highway deaths dropped a few percentage points. Sammy Hagar wrote a song about it. Click on the link below for a history of speed limits in America.
Speed limit laws
Wiki speed limit history

I don't think so cause most cars get their best economy above 55 mph now, even my 87 ranger gets better mpg at 60 than 55.
Been there, done that! Was so annoying at the time. Consider japanese econoboxes were just getting started , everyone had land yachts, and both the cars and highways (the big ones) were good for 75 mph. Jimmy Carter was so concerned about the gas crisis. So many fewer cars on the road then as opposed to now. NOW everyone it seems has old cars, new ones too expensive. Although I would be fine with going slower on the road, enough of federal government imposing its great ideas on everyone, already!

@Fix4Dirt I suppose that I could've provided a link to the Sammy Hagar song. Trivia Question. without looking on the internet for the answer. What is the first popular Rock Band was Sammy Hagar a member of?
"I can't drive 55"

@Fix4Dirt I suppose that I could've provided a link to the Sammy Hagar song. Trivia Question. without looking on the internet for the answer. What is the first popular Rock Band was Sammy Hagar a member of?
"I can't drive 55"
Don't know if it was the first, but he did join Van Halen. I liked David Lee Roth better however.

"I can't drive 55"
ill be honest, i dont remember! just van halen, but joney mentioned that LOL. feel like there was something before, but i dont remember.

@Fix4Dirt I was in middle school, people would always be talking about different bands. It wasn't until decades later that I found out that Sam Hagar was in Montrose and was in the band for the first two albums. When he left the band, he started going by Sammy Hagar with the band of the same name (before the Van Halen/Hagar years) I hope that these youtube links work. We listen to all kinds of music at work thanks to free YouTube.
Click here to play Montrose first Album

@Fix4Dirt I was in middle school, people would always be talking about different bands. It wasn't until decades later that I found out that Sam Hagar was in Montrose and was in the band for the first two albums. When he left the band, he started going by Sammy Hagar with the band of the same name (before the Van Halen/Hagar years) I hope that these youtube links work. We listen to all kinds of music at work thanks to free YouTube.
Click here to play Montrose first Album
woahhh!!!!! i wasnt aware of that, thats so cool! ive heard them before, just never realized he was part of it!

This morning all of the residual fuel had evaporated. I opted to use 3 to 4 OZs of Purple Power concentrate and some water probably a half a gallon to a gallon. I sloshed it back forth every way that I could turn it. I stood it on end with the fill hole down and Ken kept rinsing every angle that he could. Once clear water was running out I left it at the angle anything left in it could drip on out. I don't doubt that in this heatwave of a summer that we have been having that there will be any problem to get the rest of the water to evaporate. The pump won't be here until next week so by then it will be dry. I'm going to put all the pump/sending unit back in before the tank goes back in. This will keep dirt off of the bottom of the truck from contaminating it.
Now playing: Van Halen 1984-DLR still singing for them

@410Fortune Jamie. Here is a pic of the '92 tank vent. Last week were discussing vapor return etc on the 5.0 vehicles and simplifying it. Is this the simple style of vent?
92tankvent.jpg

I'm still waiting on the new fuel pump cartridge. The tank is clean and dry and Friday before I/we left work, I duct taped any open holes to hopefully keep anything else from getting in the tank. I don't know how much the mouse hair and other debris was affecting fuel pressure but after having to take the tank out too, I will definitely install the new pump cartridge. The used replacement float checked out good. The sending unit and the gauge are "communicating" properly. This has been a costly mistake leaving the tank open and I will not do that again. There were at least 2 more mice, a lot of mouse hair and little rice sized fly cacoons. Over the weekend I successfully filtered the new contaminated gasoline and used it in my riding mower.
micemess.jpg

Life cycle off a fly
Now playing: RUSH Top Greatest Hits

That explorer was a natural wildlife habitat.

@Josh P And a greenhouse at that. Or rather a Terrarium.

@ChildIdenticant I think if a vehicle that burns gasoline is going to sit for an extended period of time that it is real important to get the alcohol "tainted" gasoline out of a/the fuel tank. I messed up when I didn't close the tank back up. My pictures reflect that. I'm not the only person in the world that has done this and hopefully others will learn from my mistake that I'm admitting that I made. A clean fuel system is essential to a good running vehicle.:(

this thread is solved
92 would not re start when warm
Now we know why

SOLVED

Seems like a perfectly legit problem to have and a solution was found. Exactly why we post...........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@410Fortune Thanks for marking it solved. The new pump was here when I got to the shop. I'll do a new thread showing the vehicle and the results from all of the various things that I had to do to it. If you want to, you can lock the thread to help save on Forum storage space.

Back