Solved - 1992 Explorer wont start once it is warm | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1992 Explorer wont start once it is warm

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
@Josh P Where is the one for the ECM ? I saw a sensor attached to the drivers inner apron that resembled Gen II overhead console temp sensors. Is that maybe it ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dry fuel system maybe some debris made its way up to an injector

You need to solve that misfire, check codes replace
Light bilb
Or use obd1 scanner

32-34 psi is acceptable gotta check it when the No start condition occurs too

I left the pressure gauge connected overnight to see how well the fuel system is holding. I hope the check engine light works. I don't have an OBD1 scanner however I suppose that I can do the jumper wire thing and count the blinks. Is this the operating system still using the 2 digit codes?

@Josh P Where is the one for the ECM ? I saw a sensor attached too the drivers inner apron that resembled Gen II overhead console temp sensors. Is that maybe it ?

I just looked at that. I'm thinking that one of the guys is saying that backwards. I would think that the one for the temp gauge instrument in the gauge set would be the simple one with the threads like an older Ford...

Get the engine up to operating temp, then use a meter to check the resistance of the ect sensor. There are charts for the values.

@410Fortune The fuel lines did sit open for an extended period of time.

Yuck! Might want to check fuel rail and injectors more then once I have seen debris clog injector intake that would explain misfire but not no start

OBD1 code 18

iirc that points to the ECT sensor, or the iat sensor, but more than likely ECT... or was it IDM loss of ground? i forgot..

Spout circuit open

I believe that means the Timing pil has been pulled and the computer cannot advance/retard timing
Chrck your wiring harness and find the timing pil

Need to clear and see if it comes back
Is that a koer or Koeo code?

Ha!

Sheesh I think I was smarter then… I have forgotten a lot of this crap lol

Friday I changed the 3 passenger side PITA spark plugs. They were old but clean and dry.
As far as the fuel line having debris in it, nothing could have gotten past the filter. I bet that either an injector is stuck or a wire has been nibbled on.
Later when I go by the shop I will clean the IAC.
I'm going to order intake gaskets and have them on hand before I take the intake off. I don't want to have it open long. In the meantime I need to find my homemade injector tester that I made a few years back that would let you test one at a time and spray in to a 2 liter bottle when it was powered up for a second.

Did you find the spout connector?

@410Fortune Yep ! It was right next to the diagnostic connector. It's plugged in. The IAC valve wasn't very dirty/oily. I unplugged the SPOUT connector while it was running and no change. Will do 3 left plugs Monday. I have to go home and mow acreage.

My 96 did something similar...missing on hot restart, got worse and worse till it wouldn't restart hot at all, then wouldn't start at all even when cold. In the end stage it would only fire if I primed the fuel system 3-4 times, and it would not idle at all...just kicked over and roared for a few seconds. It's at the shop having the fuel pump replaced at this moment because I don't have the time to do it myself :(

In my experience with the ohv a no re start when hot has always been fuel related

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yesterday the fuel pressure while running was holding at 30.5 pounds idling.

Back