Solved - 1992 Explorer wont start once it is warm | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1992 Explorer wont start once it is warm

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
It looks like I'm going to have to remove the upper radiator hose to be able to remove the passenger valve cover. Hopefully I won't have to remove the alternator too.
92enginefilephoto.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Makes it much easier if you remove the alternator
Not a big deal!

I like interstate batteries. My dad had a grey top interstate battery last for over 10 years.

I like interstate batteries. My dad had a grey top interstate battery last for over 10 years.
same here, i dont keep em 10 years long but they havent tiven me any problems yet!

I get my interstate batteries at costco
Nothing beats it, the price, the performance and the Costco warranty

I stopped working on the '92 late Friday. Then it dawned on me that we have Monday off. Tuesday the package with the remainder of the tune up parts should be here. In the meantime, here is s picture of my latest license plate. My wife's cousins' family runs a local online auction and thrift store. I was able to "win" the Arkansas plate but missed out on Missouri. Here is a pic seeing as I can't post pictures in "everything under the sun" category. They had an early Mustang center cap that I picked up for $1-.
arkansasplate.jpg

I spent some time during the holiday straightening up the space where my truck project is located. I'm trying to make more room to bring in the rear fender cart. I have several Explorer parts in there some I will use. Here is a picture of a 1991 console that I'm not going to use. It is not cracked an all of the major pieces are together. Even the armrest isn't torn.
con1.jpg
con2.jpg

Get the dual cup holder insert it is so much better! I have one of those consoles in every color….except red lol

@410Fortune The red console wont fit in my red '91. It has the bench seat type seat.
I'm still working on the '92. The intake and valve covers are loose on the 4.0. I'm still waiting on the O-rings and a couple of other parts.
I may not have the time it would take to get the red 1991 Explorer 4x4 running. It has been sitting too with the transmission needing rebuilt. The transfer case is locked up in my shed. I have all of the parts to it including the original wheels. I may just sell it and use the money to help on the Mountaineer project. It seems that I am not going to have enough back to get through repairing all of them. These Explorers are a little too tall for me to work on comfortably. Some of it age, some of it my back is nearly blown out. Not to mention 5'8" to 5'7"depending on the time of the day. Also balancing on a milk crate for many tasks. It hurts all over way more than when I was 18. 61 now.

You need a topside creeper!!

@410Fortune I looked up Top side creepers on the I-net. I didn't see Harbor freight offering one. That would be nice tool to have. I'm all out of floor space though. I would go ahead and get one if I knew someone that wanted one would buy it from me for about 20% off after I use it. I only have two more truck/vehicles that I would use it on. We have obtained so much equipment over the years and recently that the newest piece, the 4 post lift, Is sitting on top of the "foot print" for the frame pulling equipment. We are going to have to move the lift over to be able to do some soon to come pulling. The lift needs to go where all of the tools, tool boxes and workbench that was brought in from Dad's old Shop last summer. It's a juggle **** and a 300 square foot, even as small as that would be, would really help right at the moment.

@410Fortune The red console wont fit in my red '91. It has the bench seat type seat.
I'm still working on the '92. The intake and valve covers are loose on the 4.0. I'm still waiting on the O-rings and a couple of other parts.
I may not have the time it would take to get the red 1991 Explorer 4x4 running. It has been sitting too with the transmission needing rebuilt. The transfer case is locked up in my shed. I have all of the parts to it including the original wheels. I may just sell it and use the money to help on the Mountaineer project. It seems that I am not going to have enough back to get through repairing all of them. These Explorers are a little too tall for me to work on comfortably. Some of it age, some of it my back is nearly blown out. Not to mention 5'8" to 5'7"depending on the time of the day. Also balancing on a milk crate for many tasks. It hurts all over way more than when I was 18. 61 now.
I hear you! I'm 5'6". Although this might not work for you with the floor space, I use a wooden box to stand on. (actually a small wooden bookcase, about 2'X3'x8", of 3/4" plywood, flipped onto its front). I can't do ladders or step stools. Lots of room to stand securely this way. But do listen to your back, take care!

@joney Good idea on the box. I have been putting off buying lumber for concrete forms because wood prices were high. They have come down a little now. I'll spend on wood what a good Top Side Creeper would cost then I wont have a tool storage issue. I can use the wood for my Mountaineer walkway after I use it for forms.
I was trying to do a simple fuel injector removal and test and it turned in to a VC gasket R&R. Several more things have to be undone or removed to get to the valve covers. One was leaking some. I've drained the radiator in hopes that the coolant/AF level will drop out of the intake. Before I left yesterday (Fri) I put a wet rag in the T-stat hole hoping it would siphon out any residual mix. I'm gonna drain the oil and save it to put back in and run it a little before the oil change. It may still be usable if I don't get antifreeze in it.
92uc01.jpg

Tight and not much working room

Well it is June 20th and the engine is running again. It took a few days for the injector package to show up and the gasket package bounced around the southeast U.S. before it decided to stop at my/our shop. I made the tester like you guys showed me and then I cut an injector plug and made me a test harness. One injector was clogged and one was sticking open. It ran pretty crappy with the injector problem.
injtst.jpg

When I went to the tire store to get a new rubber valve stem the service writer grabbed one of the counter and gave
to me. I told him what I was doing with it and snapped it on the injector and he said that he had never seen anyone
use a valve stem to make an injector cleaner. Test harness below.
injel.jpg

I thought that I would see how bad Chinese injectors could be. Here are two pics.
inj1.jpg

inj2.jpg

They came with O-rings on them. The engine runs as well or better than I remember. It took about 5 minutes for
the ECM to relearn, then the idle steadied out. Tomorrow I will test drive the transmission.

I took the '92 out for a test drive and it wont shift out of drive in to overdrive.
When I first got it going again yesterday, the idle would drop down to almost sounding like it was going to die then all of a sudden it would surge up to 1200, then back down to 500 and back up to 1200 over and over until it was warm. Today the same thing but from 450 to 900 until warm. During the test drive it didn't surge and it ran well.
The fuel pressure before I went on the test drive was a steady 33 pounds. I shut down the engine when I got back and then checked the pressure. It was sitting steady at 40. In the pic below it's holding at 40.
92uh1.jpg

YOu are on the path to greatness! The ol 92 is on the road

Isn't it satisfying to see the injector clean itself in front of your face? Now you KNOW where the problem was

Will not shift into OD, very interesting. The 92 has two shifts at the end, right? The coverter lock up and then the od shift
Is your kick down cable adjusted? they are self adjusting
is there vacuum line still going to the transmission? good shape?

3-4 shift and lockup is 2 solenoids. Constant voltage to the solenoids, ecm activates by grounding the circuits.

surging idle that goes away wgen warm sounds like could be a vac leak to me. on my 2nd gen it was the intake mani gaskets, before that the Y piece in the iac tube. not sure hownit looks on 1g ohv however

OHV is way different than SOHC however there are many vacuum lines on an OHV. I want to double check them and my intake torque specs. You OHV guys may know the answer to the question which is, what is the torque spec for the studs that go through the injector fuel rail plate before the upper intake plenum goes back on? I may not have them tight enough.
I want to get it back on the lift to check the vacuum modulator rubber hose and test with a DVOM the two internal transmission solenoids. The workdays have been extremely hot. By mid-day it has been so hot that one can't think. When the heat index gets to 100 F, we have been shutting down the shop for the day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just snug those studs up tight, turn till they stop then give them a bump = tight.
The hold down nuts only need to be tight enough to smash the gaskets, same thing, snug them up then one additional bump

good idea ohm out the solenoids, likely they need replaced after all of these years, poor a4ld!!

Back