1992 Explorer XLT WARN Manual Hubs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer XLT WARN Manual Hubs

Iqalumiuq

Reaction score
City, State
Iqaluit, Nunavut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Hello all,

Experienced DIY mechanic with zero experience with 4x4 hubs of any type. Here's the scoop: truck is bone stock aside from WARN manual hubs on the front. With hubs unlocked and xfer case in 2WD, no noise from the front end. With hubs locked and xfer case in 4WD, there is a loud grinding from the front left wheel. I also noticed that there are metal shavings inside the outer part of the hub (the part that comes off when you pop the tire off).

So my guess is that the outer hub bearings are shot and that the outer hub needs to be replaced. But, having no idea how this thing actually works I thought I'd ask first. I live in the Canadian High Arctic and parts take about a month to get here and cost a bloody fortune to ship, so I'd like to be pretty sure before I purchase.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Mike

The hubs are inter-changable so swap the "hub" from left to right and see if the problem follows the hub.

If it doesn't, its not the hub.

Next is to check the spindle bearing which is only used when in 4x4 mode. Put the truck in 4x4 but do NOT lock the hubs. If that side is making noise again then its the spindle bearing OR the outer u-joint BUT since you found metal shavings I'm leaning more towards the hub or spindle bearing and not the u-joint.

~Mark

Thanks for the helpful advice Mark. To save myself from getting destroyed by mosquitos I skipped the L/R hub swap and did the other test you suggested. I put her in 4WD and did NOT lock the hubs then drove around; there was no noise. That pretty much makes the hub itself the culprit eh?

Mike

Yup, sounds like the hubs to me..

~Mark

Back