1992 Explorer - Zero Electrical Power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer - Zero Electrical Power

sterlin

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer EBauer
Hello everyone. I just bought a 1992 Explorer XLT Eddie Bauer that has been sitting for about a year. It ran when parked in mid 2020. The battery is from 09/19, and was showing good voltage with my meter. Nothing happens at all when you turn the key on, or try to crank it. When I try to jump it with another car, everything turns on when I turn the key to the on position, but when I try to crank it, it only cranks over once for like half a second, and it does that every time you try to start it. Upon removing the jumper cables, everything is dead again.

I noticed that the terminals on the fender solenoid were looking a little corroded, and the positive battery cable wiring looked nearly green from corrosion. Should I just go ahead and replace the fender solenoid and battery cables, or are there other things I should be checking? I'm currently 200 miles away from it, and I only got to look at it for like 10 minutes after I bought it. I did notice that the tach was stuck at like 4k with the key in the on position, not sure what that would mean.

I greatly appreciate any help. I would add pictures but I completely forgot to take any, but I'll be able to see the truck again in a few days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get that meter working for you. Ohm out your connections. The battery cables on these have a habit of failing inside the insulation.
Pull and clean anything that looks corroded.

I'm thinking battery cables as well. Not much else it could be with those symptoms. Try cleaning all the connections and see if that gets it running.

If everything goes dead, then your battery isn't making a proper connection , which removes the solenoid as the main concern in this troubleshooting stage. Try spraying the terminals, terminal connectors & cable ends with a baking soda & water solution, and take a terminal connector cleaner brush to it all.

Just because you have voltage at the battery it doesn't mean your battery is good. Take the battery somewhere and have it tested.

I would check the battery cables. I had a "crank and instantly dead" issue, and it was from heavy corrosion between the cable and terminal.

1620139587020.png

Back