Fuel4sandman

Reaction score
City, State
Pahrump Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 4x4
Hello everyone,
I'm new here to this forum.
So I recently purchased a beautiful 1992 ford explorer 4x4, I got it for $300 with a clean and clear Nevada title, it was a one owner older gentleman who used it as a fishing/camping truck. He took very good care of it, sadly he wanted to upgrade to a newer vehicle.
Only problem with it is that the transmission is not working, it will engage into gears and move if I rev it to about 2-3k rpm. Would that be a clutch, transmission, torque converter? It only moves about 1 mph if at best. Engine is solid and there is no sign of oil under the car it is super clean. It has plenty of transmission fluid the gear shifter is properly shifting it . Could it be a sensor? . I honestly would rather fix it up myself than pay a transmission shop 1,300-1,500$ to do it. I purchased this because my 2014 Chevy Cruze has been in the shop more than I drive it. Thank God for warranty's.
Anyway if anybody could help I would greatly appreciate it, have a happy labor day !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!
Automatic transmissions are the big weak link in these otherwise strong trucks. If yours made it to 25 years, that's above average!
It could possibly be something minor like you're hoping, and others could tell you what to check and how.
If it is truly dead, your options are to rebuild it, swap to a manual, or get an adapter plate and switch to a different auto trans. All these options have tons of info here if you do a little searching around.
Good luck!

Thanks ... I'll re post this in the right category :)

Thanks ... I'll re post this in the right category :)
Please don't repost. It's in a good category. If you want it moved to the transmission section, just say so, and we can move it. But you'll get more responses where it is.

Oh ok I thought I put it in the welcome section :0

You did, I moved it here.

Back