1992 Ford Explorer brake bleeding problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Ford Explorer brake bleeding problems

Rjp23

Reaction score
City, State
Greeley, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Volkswagen Passat
Hello I'm a master automotive technician student and am having trouble with a customer vehicle it's a 1992 ford explorer 4 by 4 has the 4.0 liter engine. Brake pedal goes down to floor to stop once stopped it still moves foward also must have parking break set to completely stop. Bleed all lines rear passenger does not bleed neither does the rear right I bleed out master cylinder and it is working fine but still no luck anyone have any ideas on what to do next im thinking the abs system is not allowing the rear brakes to be bleed but I am not certain? Please and thank u any feedback is welcome

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jab the pedal HARD a few times. The abs valve is probably stuck.

Did you start furthest away from the master cylinder and work your way to it when bleeding? If you ran the master dry you have to bleed all four wheels keeping a eye on the fluid as you do. Try removing the bleeder on the caliper and see if it has crud in it might just be clogged up with dirt or something. Also the brake lines could be crudded up inside. Are you sure your not leaking fluid anywhere between the master and the rear brakes making it appear they can't be bled? I know on some models the abs unit has to be bled at a shop because they have a scan tool to cycle the valves in it while bleeding. I don't think this would be keeping the rears from being bled. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

I'm guessing he knows how to bleed brakes being an automotive tech student. One trick is to jack up the side you are bleeding.

If you are able to get a strong fluid flow out all four bleeders when bleeding the brakes, then you probably don't have line blockages. However if the truck is very rusty you could have a pinhole rusted in a brake line.

Another thing to look at is the stock bleeders suck, especially at this age. They often leak air around the threads which makes it about impossible to bleed. I always install new Dorman/HELP brand Speed Bleeders on any vehicle I bleed the brakes on. The Speed Bleeders let you bleed brakes by yourself much more quickly than any other method, have sealant around the threads, and are usually made of harder metal than the soft stock bleeders.

Thanks to all

Thank you everyone for taking time out of your life to help me I tried everything that was suggested above finally got to doing some older research to find out the whole history of this vehicle turns out for a while a lot of the abs systems were going out. That was the case here found that out when disconnected the abs and no brake fluid would go to rear brake lines. got it switched out bleed the breaks and just like that the problem fixed!! thanks again everyone very appreciated

This was your pass/fail exam.

You passed!

:eek: ;) :salute:

Back