• Register Today It's free!

1992 Ford Explorer Engine Swap

RebelRoberts

Reaction score
City, State
Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT4x4
I am just wondering if it is possible to swap the engine from a 1995 F150 into my 1992 explorer.....or which v8 engines can I replace my 4.0 v6 with

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A 302 is a common swap, one which I've been planning for a while! You can use a carbed or injected 302, carbed being easier, but you are still looking at a fair amount of work. I have heard of a few people swapping in a 351, but that's even more work. Do a search on here, it's been done quite a few times.

Check Nevada state law first.

In California and here in Arizona you can swap in a V8 but it must be one that was available in that model at some point. So a 5.0L only.

A 351 or any other V8 would render it non-street legal.

Also in some states it would not be allowed to do a carb, as NO Explorer ever had a carbed 5.0

If it is for off-road use only then you could put any engine you want in it.

Check Nevada state law first.

In California and here in Arizona you can swap in a V8 but it must be one that was available in that model at some point. So a 5.0L only.

A 351 or any other V8 would render it non-street legal.

Also in some states it would not be allowed to do a carb, as NO Explorer ever had a carbed 5.0

If it is for off-road use only then you could put any engine you want in it.

Surely in Arizona, if you have Historic Vehicle or Antique registration, those restrictions do not apply?

Surely in Arizona, if you have Historic Vehicle or Antique registration, those restrictions do not apply?

Emissions regulation began in 1981. If your vehicle is older than that, no restrictions, but it still must pass emissions.

Historic vehicle qualification is 25 years. Still has to pass emissions, and be otherwise street legal. Lights, wipers, etc.

Antique is 35 years. Still has to pass emissions.

When the Explorers reach 35 years old they will still not have been made prior to 1981..

No street legal vehicle gets a free pass on emissions.

My 35 year old Motorcycle still has to pass emissions. It's very lenient but it can't be dump'n raw fuel out the tail pipes.

The size of the engine is not the issue. It just have to have an equivalent "manufacturers" emission standard to compare with for that model vehicle and engine combination.

If Ford made a hot rod version of the Explorer with a 460 and got it passed as a limited production vehicle and sold a few, then you could get away with putting a 460 in your Ex.

Emissions regulation began in 1981. If your vehicle is older than that, no restrictions, but it still must pass emissions.

Historic vehicle qualification is 25 years. Still has to pass emissions, and be otherwise street legal. Lights, wipers, etc.

Antique is 35 years. Still has to pass emissions.

When the Explorers reach 35 years old they will still not have been made prior to 1981..

In my area, we have no emissions inspections.

Furthermore, with 25+ year old vehicles, there are no mechanical inspections, either. In 3 more years, my Explorer will qualify for Historic Vehicle registration, and will not require anything. At all. I buy HV plates, and I'm done. :)

Arizona seems very restrictive. I can see that for urban areas like Phoenix and Tucson, but not for other areas of the state. Interesting...

I never knew Arizona had emissions testing. Minnesota is the most over regulated, has the most pointless laws, and yet has no vehicle testing of any kind.

Also we are now required to transfer titles within 10 days and show proof of insurance to transfer the title. On top of that, if you need plates or tabs you must buy them at the same time. No more cheap cars for me.

Not to go on a wild tangent, but if you have emissions testing in your state, fight it. All it does is cripple drivers, and ruins perfectly good cars.

Now if I can just get rid of the stupid title transfer law, I can get back to building cars and trucks.

Just for clarification.. if you live outside an AZDEQ emissions testing area AND you don't use that vehicle to commute to work or school into an emission testing area you don't need emission testing..

Our '92 explorer and the 78 Quadravan don't go through emission testing since we are outside of the testing area AND we have 3 other vehicles that can be used for commuting..

Basically, you fill out a form (code 52) that states this vehicle won't be used to get to work/school in the emission testing area.. It's no extra cost.. The benefit is that you can buy up to 5 years of registration at once so you don't have to remember to renew it for a while..

Back