• Register Today It's free!

1992 ford explorer Help~!

EvilGSXR

Reaction score
City, State
Maineville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer 4x4
i was just given a 1992 explorer 4.0l EB start up the vehicle and put it in first and it wont go in right away then it clunks and is in first gear finally. wont shift into other gears will stay in first only. what could this be?

Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Manual or Auto?

automatic trans sorry

Do you put it in OD? If it won't switch into other gears then you may have a broken band or a servo isn't working. Either way you are going to have to do a lot of work on that tranny.

okay here is a update i have got it changing gears now i have to rev it to 42-4500 rpms before it will go into 2nd gear and it will shift at 3000 - 4000 for the rest of the gears. what would be causing this to have to rev so high in first to shift to second also it still has a slight clunk when going into first. reverse works fine no issue at all.

Change the tranny fluid and get it flushed. Change its filter. Check for fluid leaks. Another thing to check is the A4LD governor. Search for it on here and you will find out how to replace it. It controls the 2-3 shift.

sounds good i will check that stuff anyone have a online manual of this engine?

thanks anything you got to help appreciated i know how to make cars go fast never worked on anything bigger then 2.5L Turbo's :p

Back