• Register Today It's free!

1992 Ford Explorer Overheating

Firephoto

Reaction score
City, State
Canoga Park, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL
Ok, I am sure this is a repeated question and someone is going to tell me to do a search. But I have and I'm not sure I have found the right answer. Anyway, here is my problem.

I have a 1992 Ford Explorer with 127,000 miles on it. I took it to a Ford dealer for maintenance and they serviced the cooling system, but lately it has been running hot. I don't just mean the gauge shows it hots, everything is hot (which is usually at the "M" to "A" range). The passenger floor is hot to the touch even through the carpet and floor mats which heats up the passenger compartment which causes me to turn on the air conditioner which makes the gauge go higher. I put my hand by the rear exhaust and the exhaust air was hot enough that I had to pull my hand back. When I have the air/heater/fan in the off position hot air still blows in the passenger compartment.

I thought maybe it was just the summer heat, but now that its in the mid-80s and still doing it, I thought maybe I need to do something.

I have not done much work on trucks before and would like to save money by doing the work myself, so if anyone has some ideas, please treat me like I am dumb and talk very slowly so I can follow.

I love my Explorer and want to last as long as possible, so any help is very much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think a partially plugged cat would cause it to run hot. Start by looking at the radiator. Check for coolant level,leaks, etc. Also Start the engine after it has completely cool. While it is warming up put your hand on the heater hose. when it gets hot to touch, put your hand on the upper radiator hose. Not long after that the hose to the top of the rad. will start to warm up. If it doesn't then your thermostat is stuck closed. While you ar checking these hoses, you can monitor your temp gauge occasionally to see where the engine temp is at. If you get a hot top rad. hose, move to the rad. It may be plugged or the fan clutch may not be working. I have been told, that if the clutch fails, it will fail in the engaged position. Not sure if that is true though..
That would be a start.
Mark

My guess is thermostat, but check the levels and for leaks. But when my thermostat was stuck my truck wasn't getting enough heat for the heater core. But goodluck and it doesn't sound like a huge problem if thats any relief.

May or may not apply.....as you already did some work......but you could go over this:

Explorer Overheating:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162848

My STOCK answer on over heating problems: (beside changing a radiator or water pump)

If you got the tools or access to the kit........pressure check the system.

T-stats can be checked w/ a thermometer and a pot of hot water………or just replace them……….they aren’t that expensive.

While running and with the engine off, make a visual check of the hoses for a hole, check for leaks at the connections. If it passed the pressure test, you should be OK. But, still check for a, "too soft" hose, which may collapse.

Test the cap (pressure test). Or if you don‘t have the test equipment……..replace it, if you can't remember when it was last done........or if it's been more than a couple years since it was last changed.

Perhaps, it’s time for new anti-freeze………don’t forget to mix it right.

Fan Clutch...............when cold (engine off) try spinning the fan....it should spin freely or with very little resistance. If it won't spin.....replace.

When hot (engine off) try spinning the fan........in some cases it will feel like it's, "locked up," or it will be like there is syrup/glue holding it back. Tougher to spin, than when it was cold. If so, It's OK. If, it spins like a top.....replace.

The below elec. tests are the, "cheap test methods"........there are more sophisticated tests with values, that can be run.

Test for the dash thermo gauge................disconnect the wire from the temp sender unit.........KOEO...........ground that wire.........it will peg the gauge on the hot side............disconnect from ground and it will return.

Sender unit.........if you suspect it..........replace, replacement is cheap.
Aloha, Mark

PS.......IF it ain't a cooling system issue..........I like the idea of checking the cat.

Bigger problem?

I was checking for leaks, checking the condition of the hoses, and even checked the air filter. I thought since I was this far, I might as well replace the thermostat. So I took a drive and got the thermostat. Well, when I got home, the first thing I did was remove the air duct from the air filter box into the engine and I noticed there was oil in the duct opening by the side that is closest to the air filter box. Am I in deep poop-poop or do I have too much oil in the truck?

Am I in deep poop-poop or do I have too much oil in the truck?

Just check your oil level...........you aren't using one of those (high performance) oil on the air filters, correct? The oil could just be from the engine blow by (PCV blowing) into the duct work.

If it were me and my truck.....I'd get everything cleaned up and tuned up as well as possible, before I go off and start worring about stuff. Drive it, for awhile and get to KNOW IT. Then, go back and check it for problems.

That being said........also, re-set the computer.

Aloha, Mark

Ok

Ok, well I got up the nerve to change my thermostat (probably a mistake). It took me forever to get those dang bolts out, but I accomplished that part. But when I was putting them back on, it felt like I stripped them. I didn't think I had them tight, but the they just went loose. I got one on without feeling the strippping and for one of the other ones, I just JB weld on the bolt. I have been exteremly worried that this is going to leak and have been pulling on the housing and it does not move. It feels very tight. And I have not noticed any coolant leaking out of it. Of course, I got lazy and didn't change out my upper hose and that got a crack in it today and leaked. So I changed that out and everything seems to be running good. But should I tap or can I tap the bolt holes on the thermostat housing? Or should I just leave it alone. I changed out the thermostat on Saturday and have been driving it since with no coolant leaking. Am I just pushing my luck or did I get lucky with the housing?

All depends......JB Weld fix.......I mean, it could leak and leave you stranded, you wanna take the chance? How long you plan on keeping the vehicle? Do you absolutely depend on it for reliable everyday transportation?

There are products to do the job in aluminium......go to the auto parts store......check them out.

everything seems to be running good

Now, did changing the t-stat.....fix, the overheating?

Aloha, Mark

Back