1992 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0L v6 2nd engine noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0L v6 2nd engine noise

Kobi Daye

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer Sport
Ive got a question about a ticking noise coming from the center of my engine in my 1992 ford explorer sport 4.0L v6 2wd. Motor shakes really bad and sputters when given gas but starts fine. Idles at about 1500rpm and ticking comes and goes.

Center of engine is front / center as in near the water pump / timing chain cover OR top / center as in near / around / under the intake manifold?

Does this occur when hot / cold / both?

Ive got a question about a ticking noise coming from the center of my engine in my 1992 ford explorer sport 4.0L v6 2wd. Motor shakes really bad and sputters when given gas but starts fine. Idles at about 1500rpm and ticking comes and goes.

Shaking usually indicates a misfire. Some things to check are condition of spark plugs and wires, and that the plug wires are connected to the right spot on the coil. After that, you can isolate the misfiring cylinder by pulling plug wires and seeing which ones don't make a difference.

Ticking can be many things, mechanical noises or even the sound of electrical arcs if you have bad ignition wires. Try to narrow down the source of the tick by using the "mechanics stethoscope" trick. Take a long piece of metal or a screwdriver and jam one end into your ear, then touch the other end to various parts while the engine is running. You'll be able to hear the noise in that part or connected to that part, such as valvetrain noises under the valve covers and the sound of pulley bearings when touched to the mounting bolt. Electrical arcs will usually be visible late at night (in darkness) if you don't have any other lights on nearby.

1500 RPM is not a normal idle speed. Typically a warm, settled idle will be around 600 RPM, while a cold idle may be 1000-1100 RPM.

Back