1992 Ford Explorer wont start please read. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Ford Explorer wont start please read.

ryansdad

Reaction score
City, State
San Bernardino Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer 4.0
I got a 1992 Explorer 4x4 yesterday. It had been sitting for 14 years. I cant get it to start. I put 5 gallons of fuel in checked the valve stem looking thing on the top of the motor left side just past the air intake it has fuel. The motor turns over just wont fire. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to eventually bring this beauty back to life.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tried any starting fluid into the throttle body , don't use too much though , did you check all fuses ? . Check for Ignition Or spark At the plugs ?.

Bruces expo thanks for the things to try. Im actually less than a novice so I will be looking for videos to check for spark. Havent added any starting fluid yet the intake hose tube thing is sealed pretty tight trying to get it off without destroying it. Thanks I will check the fuses now and keep working on it. Thank you.

Hey Bruces expo I just sprayed carb cleaner in the air intake got it to run for a minute on that. I checked that fuek valve stem thing and barely any fuel dribbled out. Would it be safe to assume the fuel filter or pump needs to be replaced. All the fuses look fine.

As old (russian chauffeurs') saying goes, if it does no start - then there is either nothing to burn, or nothing to start the fire. I.e., either fuel, or the spark is missing.

So, as you've already checked for fuel, next thing I would, as Bruces expo suggested, checked for the spark.

... Im actually less than a novice so I will be looking for videos to check for spark.

Pull out the easiest cylinder (frontmost driver side?) spark plug wire. Place and fix it on the engine such that there will be about 0.25" gap between the metal contact on the wires end, and some massive non-painted metal (grounded) part of the engine. Have a helper crank the starter and watch/hear if there are sparks (about 0.25-0.5 seconds apart) between the wire and metal ground. DO NOT TOUCH THE WIRE WHILE CRANKING. HIGH VOLTAGE, USE CAUTION.

No problem , We All have to start somewhere , Do some research and I'm sure others will chime in as well .

Hey Bruces expo I just sprayed carb cleaner in the air intake got it to run for a minute on that.

Ah! The spark is there. Scratch my previous post.

I checked that fuek valve stem thing and barely any fuel dribbled out. Would it be safe to assume the fuel filter or pump needs to be replaced. All the fuses look fine.

Sounds like no fuel pressure. Could be the pump (it's a PITA to replace), the filter, or the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator)...

For the pump... When you turn ignition on, do your hear a not-so-loud hum for a few seconds, coming from the rear of the truck? This would be fuel pump priming itself.

to hum or not to hum

PKN no when i turn the key there is no hum....

Well, if your are sure, then it sounds... I mean, it indicates that the pump isn't pumping. Could be the fuse (easiest), the wiring (harder), or the pump itself (hardest).

Pump is located inside the fuel tank, and bad news is that to get to it you will have to either drop fuel tank, or to cut access panel to get to it from inside. Search this forum for bolded words.

Good news is that your are already on a very straight path to the victory. :)

Or the fuel pump relay. Have someone crank the engine while touching the relay. if you can feel it click, it's ok.

Crossing my fingers for you that it ain't the pump. I just went through that ordeal.

ummm,,14 year old fuel don't burn too well,,I would suspect less than ideal fuel in the tank, pump, filter,lines possibly the injectors. It did start on starting fluid so it seems fuel is the problem.

Pump is bad. If you want to confirm that before spending dollars, you can "rent" a tester from some auto parts stores, then return it for a full refund (Autozone, O'reilly's, etc). Below is a link on how to use it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142801&highlight=1st+fuel+pressure

If it's been sitting that long, it wouldn't hurt to take a rubber mallet and smack the tank toward the forward end where the pump lives and see if it will run. Might be worth a try.

You can also verify if the pump is getting voltage. Get a test light (or volt meter) and a wire diagram. The pump connector is in the frame rail just to the drivers side of the spare tire. Drop the spare tire for better access. Dark Green/Yellow wire is (+), Black wire is (-). Polarity won't matter if you're using a test light. If you have voltage there, you can assume the wiring and fuel pump relay are good.

awood thanks for the infp I will "rent" the tool and see whats going on. Thanks

color & smell of fuel?

Remove the Schrader valve (same as a tire valve core) and connect a hose to the port. Put the other end of the hose in a clear container and turn on the ignition. The fuel pump should run for 3 or 4 seconds and fuel should flow into the container. If it doesn't after a couple attempts then the fuel pump isn't running or the fuel line is blocked. If fuel flows into the container and its yellow and smells like lacquer instead of fresh gas then it won't burn. The 5 gallons you added are probably on top of the old fuel that was in the tank and the pump pulls fuel from the bottom of the tank. If you have a battery charger you can pull the fuel pump relay and use the battery charger to run the pump continuously to drain the tank via the removed Schrader valve. Don't let the pump run dry for more than a few seconds or it will overheat.

Wow thank you to each and everyone of you for offering you knowledge. Thank you I will let you all know what happens.

You can also verify if the pump is getting voltage. Get a test light (or volt meter) and a wire diagram. The pump connector is in the frame rail just to the drivers side of the spare tire. Drop the spare tire for better access. Dark Green/Yellow wire is (+), Black wire is (-). Polarity won't matter if you're using a test light. If you have voltage there, you can assume the wiring and fuel pump relay are good.

Excellent suggestion. This is what I think should be done first thing. Would help locating the problem great deal.

ok guys I got a bit ahead of myself and tried to just replace the fuel filter. I bought the filter and a tool called a quick release. The tool didnt work. I screwed up the fuel line connecter into the filter and cant get it off now. One side came off easy but the line coming from the gas tank I think I bent the tension clip things inside the connector. Looks like I may need to replace the whole line now unless there is a way to just replace the connector. Wishful thinking!
I attempted to replace the fuel filter first because I was hoping it would be a simple fix to get it running. I was hoping the filter would have just been clogged. awood I tapped the fuel tank several times and still didnt hear the pump. So I was hoping the filter was clogged leaving the line pressurized from the filter back to the pump preventing it from switching on. As I said wishful thinking.

ok guys I got a bit ahead of myself and tried to just replace the fuel filter.
If your fuel pump isn't running there is no sense in doing anything else. Find out why the pump isn't pumping first.

I would start with awood's suggestion and check if the pump has power. It should be the first - and, if your are lucky, could be the last - step to make.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

finally have time to work on the vehicle

Is there anyone here willing to give me a call. I am in need of assistance 909-238-4922 Rudy. This is what i have 91 ford explorer wont start. It will run off of starting fluid. I have replaced the fuel filter theres no pressure in the line. no hum from the rear when the key is turned on.

Back