1992 Ford Explorer XLT. Fuel pump stopped working. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Ford Explorer XLT. Fuel pump stopped working.

ja69546

Reaction score
City, State
richardson, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer xlt
ok so last week i got a random hair on my ass to finally fix my fuel sending unit, tired of not knowing how much gas i have. so i swapped the sending unit with a new one and re-installed my old fuel pump. well the next day at school the damn fuel pump crapped out on me and i couldnt get the car to start. so i went and bought a new fuel pump just because the original one has 70,000 miles on it. jump tested both fuel pumps and they both work, but when i plug them in to the vehicle they dont come on. ive checked my IFS switch and its fine, and i just replaced the fuel relay and reset the computer. car still wont start, fuel pump is not coming on at all. i am stuck and have to have a vehicle by the end of the week and i am completly out of ideas. what could it be???

All fuses and relays have been replaced, just replaced the initeria switch as well and still nothing, this thing is way over my head now and i do not know what to do

Try jumping the fuel pump using the diagnostic port.
42293017.gif

Turn the ignition to the "On" position, grab a section of spare wire and put one end into the FP Lead and then ground the other end - the negative terminal on the battery is a good place.

Use a meter and check voltage at the fuel pump connector back by the tank. You want to check #1 on the diagram "Pump Positive Terminal". You may or may not have voltage on #4 also, so make sure you're checking the correct wire.
42349732.gif

If you have around 12v there, then the problem is most likely going to be a bad or missing ground with the pump itself. You may want to drop the tank and pull the pump assembly out and make sure that the two wire that run from the underside of the flange to the pump itself are still intact. When you put the assembly back in, make sure there's no debris or anything between the flange and the tank. Finally, double check all the wiring from the harness to the assembly and make sure nothing was pinched or broken.

Back