• Register Today It's free!

1992 ford explorer xlt

awurban

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack, British Columbia Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Hey guys I have a 1992 ford explorer xlt and I love it to death. I don't see why people bad talk them so much; mine has never broke down. The only thing that I ever have to do is regular stuff like new brakes and batteries. Anyways I have a problem now lol I was 4x4ing and I bottomed out pretty hard. On the front driver side the shock punched right through the shock tower. Now my question is should I take it to an autobody shop and get them to just repair it or should I try to find aftermarket shock towers. OR any other ideas? I want it to be good and strong

If the upper mount is still in good shape, not bent or cracked anywhere, and just has an enlarged hole, it can probably be repaired quickly and easily using some thick metal plate by welding. It's also possibly to grind off the factory rivets holding the whole spring/shock mount, and bolt in a new one. You can get aftermarket upper mounts that require cutting off the shock mount while leaving the spring, and bolt on to the frame. A good bit of these are made for double shock mounts, but you can of course just use one shock as well. If it comes down to pricing, anything you can do yourself will cost less than paying a shop all the labor for any welding or cutting. If grinding off the rivets and bolting on a new one sounds like you could do it, you might wanna go that route. If you're planning on a lift and bigger tires later on, going ahead with aftermarket mounts might be worth it.

Thanks yea I have read about the double shock aftermarket ones from james duff and superlift etc. thank you for the good advice and I am looking into getting the thing lifted as we speak. lol I have to take care of the shock tower first though .. have a good one

Back