1992 "Jurassic Park" Explorer XLT Tour SUV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 "Jurassic Park" Explorer XLT Tour SUV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm currently doing this same conversion. I looked into an electric conversion too, using forklift parts. I am a forklift mechanic and have access to parts and knowledge, but the engineering behind it was going to be too much for me to want to tackle right now. There are universal conversion kits available, but at about $10,000, it just was not worth it. Besides I would only have about 3 hours run time at about 40 MPH tops. So for now the gas mill will just have to stay.

As far as the guards, The front is not made anymore and good luck finding one, and I can't remember the name of it anyway (go rhino?). I found the rears, on-line but have not ordered them yet. You can still get them for second gens, but all I could find was a part number for the first gens(I lost that too:mad:). I will be scratch building mine most likely. I'm still gathering info for the clear roof. I have some contacts in the acrylics industry, but I just need to find someone to form it.

The lights I think are just 4 inch round tractor lights(mine will be excess forklift lights!), the one on the cowl looks like a 6 inch KC daylighter. You can get cheapo ones from harbor freight since they will be painted anyway.

The running boards are just those cheap extruded aluminum ones you can pick up from LMC, or J.C. Whitney. My parts vehicle had them installed on it when I bought it. Score!! My parts vehicle also had the clear glass from the factory. Double score!! It can be pricey to purchase these new, but as far as I know they are available. Check out LMC or your local windshield shop. Keep in mind, alot of 91 models had clear glass. 92 seemed to be the year privacy glass got popular. So you may look for a 91 model instead for your conversion. Most likely the real trucks were 91s anyway.

As far as trim, I thought about making some handles from real wood, I'm sure some where someone has a stick on kind of material that looks like wood grain, I just haven't looked for it yet. Paint colors are up for interpretation. I'm going with whats as close as I can get, and what looks good to my eye. The colors I have seen that seem right are out of Eastwood's catalogue. They are "69 Chrysler sublime" green, "reptile red"(appropriate), and "electric yellow"; which might be a little bright, but I like it. I'm going to order their chip chart before making my decision though.

Good luck with your project. I can't wait to see it start. I hope you have checked out my conversion thread. I'm updating as I can, and as time and money allow.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum:JP:

Thanks stic-o!

About the bubble roof, i've been in contact with John Bell and Michael Lantieri, the guys who did the roof from the movie and they gave me decent instructions on how to make it. Ill send it to you if your interested.

I woul like that information please.

Thanks

Thank you... now I will share a idea with you I had..

Warehouse Skylights;)

or I have looked at this company.

http://www.globalplastics.ca/ovaldomes.htm

There 36"x90" could work, it's almost too big however. But it's a off the self option so to speak, and they do custom:thumbsup:

I have no plans to the dome on my truck because of the following.
  1. Structural Integrity and it used mostly off road.
  2. barely fits in garage now.

About the bubble roof, i've been in contact with John Bell and Michael Lantieri, the guys who did the roof from the movie and they gave me decent instructions on how to make it. Ill send it to you if your interested.

Yes, that would be great! I'm trying to explore all options for this feature, as its going to be the most difficult part for me.

The rest is somewhat "easy", as metal can be easily bent/ formed/ welded etc. to whatever shape and is cheap. I never have vacuum formed anything, and the material is probably fairly expensive for this part of the project. I'm just going to make the guards using pictures of the original trucks.

You obviously have done your homework on this project! I can't wait to see the final product.

Nice guard man. I'm jealous! Still looking for clear glass on mine. What'd they tell you about the roof? AFAIK there are two methods to doing it; one involves heating the plastic and letting it "sag" down into an open form and the other method calls for a wood "buck" to be created in the appropriate shape, then you heat the plastic on top of it. Did the guys happen to mention where the roofs were made? Heck, I'd love to know what the dashboards were made of too. Probably fiberglass though...

I always wondered if you could get someone to ship a good dash from a right-hand drive here to the US and use that to fab up the dash. Cost would probably kill that idea though.

I've got the bottom bar from my guard somewhere, it's pretty similar so if bending that piece back doesn't work out, let me know and we'll figure out how to get it to you.

scoodidabop - not sure if i mentioned how they did it but if not this is what they sent me regarding the bubble roof and how to make it:

"We cut the top out of the explorer with a plasma cutter. Then we made a plaster positive mold of the shape we wanted our bubble. After that we sent the mold and some optically clear 1/4" plexiglass / Lexan out to a shop that heat draped it over the mold.
We first marked out our cut line, then removed the int. headliner etc., then cut. After that we finished off the cut edge with a rubber trim gasket. The Bubble was pulled off of the plaster mold and we left a 3/4" flat flange at the bottom to drill and bolt evenly through to attach. I don't have the size for you I will ask around. The piece on the rear (black piece on rear of red part of bubble roof) that you sent the picture of is just a decorative trim piece we made out of fiberglass.
The entire bubble roof is one piece."

Texas97 - didn't think of that, going to look into right hand drive explorers

DrewSmith007 - my dad's buddy said he'd help bend it back but if it comes up where it doesn't work, i would definately appreciate the piece you have.

Just sourced clear back hatch glass, going to call the place which is 14 hours away and see if they still have the explorer for sale for $500. It even has the same seats, different color but will need to get reupholstered anyway. The trick to finding the clear hatch glass and seats grid patterned like in the movie is to look for a 91 "XL" NOT "XLT". Hope this helps. Happy hunting everyone!

Just called about the clear glass and seats. The guy said he would ask the manager so if everything lines up, ill get the front seats, rear seats, and clear glass for $500

No. Nope. There must be a stronger word than "hate". This is just ridiculous. Nice finds but damn I'm jealous! I've been searching since Last November and my brushguard, tail guards, and running boards aren't the right parts. Close, but not like this. Not this way.

You, my friend, are one lucky individual. If you feel like shipping the other brush guard there's a fellow explorerforum member here in Htown near me that is looking for one for his replica.

EDIT: Where on Earth did you source all this!? I use Ebay and Craigslist but have yet to find any deals this juicy.

Also look for different combos on craigslist:

1991 Ford explorer
1991 explorer
91 Ford explorer
91 explorer

1992 ford explorer
1992 explorer
92 ford explorer
92 explorer

Going to look for a pair of deezee running boards so I am willing to sell the one i have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's guy is gonna be mad when he finds out his gf sold his stuff lol.

Back