• Register Today It's free!

1992 Navajo Overheating

Mindtrain

Reaction score
City, State
Norcal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Navajo
Okay, I have a '92 Navajo and having a prob. with overheating. Seems like it used to run mostly around the C on the temp gauge. I live in a city so it would sometimes fluctuate between C and maybe 1/2 way between C and the middle of the gauge. After awhile I noticed it was going all the way to half way between C and H (though sometimes, for no apparent reason, it would go down to around C again). I took it in and had the thermostat replaced, radiator cap, flushed the radiator, etc. Get this, afterwards: it was *even worse* than before. Basically, it would start at C, then the gauge went all the way up to between the middle and H and then back down between C and the middle, and then just pretty much stay in the middle. The mechanic is an ass and said that it's running a lot cooler than before (when the gauge says it's hotter). Is it normal for the gauge to read in middle like that (smack between C and H)? Today it went up, again, when I was driving in the city, over the middle. There are no leaks and radiator is just fine. Not taking it back to the mechanic because he seems clueless (will try to find a new one--anyone know a good one in San Francisco?). Any help would be appreciated. I have had this car since January of this year. The engine does not seem overly hot to me and there is no smoke or anything coming out of the exhaust. BTW: I don't have time to repair it myself, as I am working too much. I am mostly a Chevy Guy when it comes to DIY repairs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Precision Auto between Fulton and Grove on Divisadero guys name is John Gonzales, phone is 922-3317? maybe, from memory

Just called. Taking it in on Monday. Thanks so much.

I'm supposed to be going on a road trip to the desert (well, Vegas) in two weeks. Don't want it overheating.

Just called. Taking it in on Monday. Thanks so much.

I'm supposed to be going on a road trip to the desert (well, Vegas) in two weeks. Don't want it overheating.

Your truck is not overheating! If it is still in the normal range then its ok! The middle is where most cars stay. And when it goes back down towards the c that is because of a reason! Either the thermostat opened or more water started circulating, Your waterpump is either going bad or you need a new bottom hose better yet replace both the top and bottom hose, but try the bottom hose first and see if that helps. The car overheating is when its at the L going towards the h

Thanks, Lofton. I did replace the top hose. Not sure if the mechanic replaced the bottom hose. The thing is, and I forgot to include this information, I blew a hose (top hose) when I was driving one night in the city (it's very cold where I live, as I am out at the ocean) back in March. This is why I have been paying so much attention to the gauge. It's also weird to me that it goes all the way from cold to hot, and then back down, when you first start the truck (it didn't do that until after the thermostat was replaced). The other thing is, and I hate to admit this, I let the mechanic replace my radiator and, you know, it wasn't even leaking. I knew it didn't need to be replaced, and it was 260 that I did not have. He said the same thing after he did this ("it's running a lot cooler now," but according to the gauge, it's not), so . . . I am feeling burned and also that the problem I paid 260 to fix did not get solved and I will have some issue down the line that will bite me in the butt . . . lol . . .

Thanks, Lofton. I did replace the top hose. Not sure if the mechanic replaced the bottom hose. The thing is, and I forgot to include this information, I blew a hose (top hose) when I was driving one night in the city (it's very cold where I live, as I am out at the ocean) back in March. This is why I have been paying so much attention to the gauge. It's also weird to me that it goes all the way from cold to hot, and then back down, when you first start the truck (it didn't do that until after the thermostat was replaced). The other thing is, and I hate to admit this, I let the mechanic replace my radiator and, you know, it wasn't even leaking. I knew it didn't need to be replaced, and it was 260 that I did not have. He said the same thing after he did this ("it's running a lot cooler now," but according to the gauge, it's not), so . . . I am feeling burned and also that the problem I paid 260 to fix did not get solved and I will have some issue down the line that will bite me in the butt . . . lol . . .

the radiator u could of put it in yourself, its very easy, but if the hose blew that means the thermostat closed, also my truck does the same thing when you turn it on, goes all the way up and then back down thats when you know the thermostat opens, i think you should go buy a thermostat from ford so that way you know you got something thats specifically for your truck. Change that bottom hose with new clamps.

If the temp gage does from C to H then back down to the middle, that is NOT normal. The hose could have blown from a defect in the hose, doesn't mean it overpressured or overheated prior to the failure. The fluctuations could be a collapsing lower hose or a bad thermostat. Cooling system components seem to be spotty on quality nowadays.

Yeah, Lofton. I've put a radiator in myself before with my old Chevy Van (put in a heavy duty one in that). But for the cost of the labor with this one (less than 100), I didn't have the time with my work schedule to do it myself: easier to pay.

I agree with you, Bluesman, it is not normal at all. And it's appalling that my mechanic acted like it was.

Here's an update for you guys: the fan clutch needs to be replaced (John is doing it this after noon). There is also something else that needs to be replaced (just got off the phone with him -- not just a hose but whatever goes to the water pump is starting to crack). Both repairs are around 225. I'm getting the one done now and will see what my budget is for the other one (but it's not something I want to let go too long).

Thanks for all of your support. It burns me up that I paid 260 on a needless repair (radiator). But the good thing is: thanks to this forum I have a new mechanic who can actually diagnose problems rather than throw my hard earned money at them and hope for the best.

edited to say: he just called back and is also checking the sending unit. the gauge is not working properly. The car is not overheating, and won't blow any hoses, but the gauge is still messed up, so it may be the sending unit or the gauge itself has to be replaced.

What a GREAT mechanic. He really cares and is super easy and fair to work with.

Back