1992 Ranger 4x4 "clunk" shutter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Ranger 4x4 "clunk" shutter

JonTheSavage

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ranger 4.0 4x4
2 Years ago, I bought a 1992 Ranger XLT 4x4. It had 294k miles on it, and I dropped a new engine core in it. The fella I bought it from said the tranny had been rebuilt with no details as to what was done to it, other than it was "rebuilt". It also has a 2 inch body lift, and AT tires.

Here is my problem, When I come to a complete stop, the truck clanks. I can let off the brakes and let it roll 10 feet, then when I give it some gas, it does the same thing. There is also a sudden push when starting off, and stopping, as if the weight of the truck isn't keeping up with the drive system. Its very noticeable offroad in low range, as it feels as if the wheels are trying to "slop" back and forward under the truck itself. In OD on the road, if I am doing 65mph for about 30 miles, then suddenly let off of it, it feels as if there is slight jerk, not as bad as a complete stop, or start.

Also, when I sit the truck on level ground, there is a lot of slack of the truck rolling in park, and if I rock it front and back while in park, there is a minor clank coming from the transfer case. Also, the needle bearing joint stretches out on the shaft, then returns, as if the entire rear end is moving, ive been told this is normal, but I don't know. My 97 2.3ltr 2x4 ranger doesn't do this.

I replaced EVERYTHING in the rear brakes, springs, shoes, adjusters, everything, and it stopped doing it as bad when I stopped, but made no difference when I start off again. Before, it felt as if one rear wheel was trying to outrun the other, where one would stop, and the other wanted to keep going.

The truck has new motor (4k miles), new tires, new Ujoints, the fluid and filter in the transmission is new, and the fluid in the TC has been changed.

Could this problem be the rear end gears going out, transfer case, or what?
Does the transfer case only use a chain in 4x4 drive, or also in 2x4 drive? Could it be slack in the TC? Its an electrical borg warner 1354 from what I've read. Beyond that, I know nothing about transfer cases.

Also, it feels "sloppy" in 1-4 gears up to about 2500 RPMS, and feels like it has no power, some cold days are better when its 50 degrees outside, and it has almost no problems then. OD is fine, it feels solid, and shifts into OD around 55mph. The transmission has a "whine" coming from it, that sounds like a power steering pump but louder. Could this be related to some kind of pump in the tranny as well?

Could this be a band adjustment problem in the tranny? Could it be a torque converter, or would it be related to my transfer case issue, or are they seperate problems?

I am the 3rd owner of the truck apparently, everything under the hood, motor, sensors everything is new, as far as the drive system, I know nothing about it, but I'm sure I can fix it if I knew what was wrong with it, and where to start. My goal is to restore this truck to "new" condition.

I really need some help on this, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The chain only drives the front axle.

I read your post, I don't think you mentioned U-Joints, how are those?

You should be able to troubleshoot any play by twisting driveshafts by hand in various configurations, 2x4, 4x4, in neutral, park, etc...

However, if the slop is noticably more in Low Range, then it's likely to be forward of the transfer case, and that's tranny world. If that ends up being the case, then I will leave it up to the many A4LD experts here (I barely know what fluid to put in one!).

The chain only drives the front axle.

I read your post, I don't think you mentioned U-Joints, how are those?

You should be able to troubleshoot any play by twisting driveshafts by hand in various configurations, 2x4, 4x4, in neutral, park, etc...

However, if the slop is noticably more in Low Range, then it's likely to be forward of the transfer case, and that's tranny world. If that ends up being the case, then I will leave it up to the many A4LD experts here (I barely know what fluid to put in one!).

I put new uJoints on it when I first noticed the rear end slop, thinking that is what it was. It was my first guess.

When I jack it up in park, I can free turn one wheel by about 1/8th a turn. There is a minor resistance, then the other wheel starts turning after another 1/15th of a turn or so.

I am worried that it is the diff gears, as I am unfamiliar with how to replace it at all, nor do I have the proper tools to do it, I'd have to have someone do it for me. I just hate spending money on a mechanic when I can do %80 of it myself.

Put the wheels on the ground in park and see how much of a turn you get on the rear driveshaft. That should tell you how much slop is in the rear diff.

Now, if you end up having to get major work done on the rear diff, you might consider just getting a 2nd generation diff from a junkyard because... you get rear disk brakes out of the deal. Just a thought.

short of the long i had a similar issue i was diaging and finally for poops and grins i decided to check the driveshaft bolts (my noise was coming from TC area and rear axle) turns out all 8 of the bolts were loose!!! after tightening the problem was fixed!!

Back