• Register Today It's free!

1992 Ranger " NO TCC LOCKUP"

derangedone

Reaction score
City, State
IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford ranger STX 4x4
Hi guys I am new the the site nice to meet you! I have recently purchased a project truck from a friend and need some assistance. The truck is a 1992 ford ranger 4x4 the problem is it wont fully lock the torque converter, I think it is soft locking cause if I drive down the road at 50 and tap the brake pedal the rpm's do rise a little so I think it is working a little but sure isn't like it is suppose to. I have rebuilt the valve body with boost valve and replaced the solinoids but the truck is still doing it. I have read a lot about electrical issues could be causing the problems and the truck does have some elec issues and I need advise. The Battery light is staying on all the time and the alternator and battery are good, I even tried a new alternator with same results also the tachometer is not functioning properly it reads 3,000 at idle. Do you guys think this might be causing my tranny no lockup issues? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The common cause of the electrical issue (which can also blow the ECM fuse) is the wire harness that runs down to the transmission. It is "supposed" to be tied off and away from the motor but the clips break over time and then the harness falls into the exhaust manifold. Once that happens the wires melt.

If the 12v common melts it normally blows the ECM fuse. If one of the other wires melt, odd things can happen... like no 3/4 shift or no OD, or sometimes you get it when you shouldn't...

Is the battery really charging? There is a 15 amp fuse under the hood that is on the alternator exciting circuit. If that blows it won't start charging even if the alternator and battery are good.

~Mark

yes sir it is charging but light continues to stay on. thanks

I also checked the fuse and it is good and cleaned all wires on starter solenoid to make sure that wasn't causing the light to remain on. I have a voltmeter gauge and the battery icon light, where does the wires from the battery light go to or come from?

I found another interesting thing about the battery or "charge" light. When I turn ignition in the on position without the three wire harness hooked to alternator the light does not come on, but with the harness plugged back into the alternator the light comes back on, so the wire knows the alt is there in other words?

I am going to work on the truck a little more tonight until dark anyway, I think I will focus a little more on the battery cables as they are old and stock, but sure don't have any issues starting the engine. I cleaned all the terminals last night and coated all of them with die electrical greese they were really dirty and I figured that would fix it but it didn't. I did not locate the ground and clean it though, so I hope I find some good news. This sure is a weird problem, does anyone have any advice? I will pull that green wire W/ red stripe out of the loom and follow it all the way to the battery light if I have to, may even cut it and run new wire, somthin crazy going on! I think my friend drove the truck like probably 8 years like this with no charging issues. I may test voltage in that wire by the light and see what I get. Just stumped, I am sure this will turn out to be somthing stupid and simple but I hope it helps my TCC problem. Thanks guys

Well I guess I was wrong, I talked to my friend about the light and he said it was never on before, I thought it was. I started the truck today and the light went off, I think it may have been my test tools on the ecm possibly causing the light possibly I don't know how but that is all I did before I started the truck to take it for a drive. However I still have the tranny issue, I could just swear that I feel 4 shifts one probably the torque converter doing something but something is still not right, one thing there is no difference when I shift from OD to D rpm's stay the same so I don't know if the torque converter is not locking all the way or the tranny is just not shifting into 4th? when I let off the gas the rpms drop to idle and if I hit the gas again it jerks cause the engine is trying to catch back up and if I change from D to OD nothing happens. What do you guys think?

I have another thing to add I found a piece of elec tape covering the rear ABS light on the dash and it is lit. Could this dirty or bad sensor create a tranny issue like this?

Back