• Register Today It's free!

1992 Vacuum line on air box 4L

Rogue1987

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Howdy all. i have a 1992 explorer with the 4.0L engine. On the filterbox there are two lines which I believe to be vacuum lines. One goes down between the filter box and the frame, the other of which has broken off and for the life of me I cannot find where it went. based on the way the line was prebent, it goes towards the drivers side and towards the engine. Can anyone give me an idea of where it should connect to? I don't have any problems with the truck running, but I am trying to straighten this stuff out before I get into anything bigger.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

like this? the one with the yellow strip goes down somewhere. The other one connects to the gaggle of lines circled in red. Mine's a '93 though
PICT0539-1.jpg

i have the lines coming off the airbox plugged, as i have a conical air filter. i can tell no difference with them plugged. i know only one of them is connected to the vaccuum, the other isn't. so if your engine isn't idling to wildly, i woudlnt' worry about it.

This is your picture, I hope you don't mind me editing it. I have that vacuum line, I just don't know where its supposed to connect to. I have the hose...just no idea where it goes.

i too was curious about what these are for. What is the vacume line for? what about the other one? it looks like there might be a sensor in the air box?

Those are for warm-air intake when it's cold outside. There is a sensor in the airbox that breaks the connection between the two lines. When the incoming air is excessively cold, that sensor opens up, and drives a vacuum motor down in the intake, and it takes air from right next to the exhaust manifold until it warms up some.

Yeah, that one on the left connects to the gaggle of lines that I circled.

On my '92, the one from vacuum to the airbox tees into the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator.

Back