• Register Today It's free!

1993 4.0 No Start

LG57

Reaction score
City, State
Katy Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
I'm new to the forum. I have a 1993 Sport 2wd 5-speed. I'm trying to resurrect it after sitting for 17 years. So far, no start. Here's the things I've done so far:
1. Pull gas tank, clean and new fuel pump
2. New fuel filter. Air filter, PCV valve
3. New spark plugs, plug wires, coil pack
4. New battery cables
5. New starter solenoid
6. New starter
7. Clean throttle body
8. Compression test-all 150 to 180lb.
9. Verified fuel to fuel rail, but not pressure
10. Ran code reader KOEO--no codes
11. Checked Elec dist box for loose corroded wires--nothing found
12. all fuses good
13. Switched relays around

After all that, it seems to be trying to start, but maybe only hitting on one cylinder and won't go ahead and light off.
What would you try next?

Oh, also unplugged and reconnected crankshaft position sensor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One more thing. Today when I was cranking it with ignition on checking spark with all plugs out, only #4 was pushing out a mist of fuel. Bad injectors??

Ok. I'll get a fuel pressure gauge and check it. Then pull the injectors for a cleaning/inspection. Thanks for your reply.

Small update this morning. Fuel pressure is ok at 35psi. Now I'm starting the tear down to get at the injectors.

there is a plug by the battery two 10 guage wires black two go to the battery terminal two go to the computer pull it apart and clean back probe to make sure it is passing electricity
roscoe

this is the computer ground

Injectors are most likely the issue, with 17 year old gas sitting in them I'm pretty sure they are clogged if not destroyed all together. Fortunately these injectors are relatively cheap and very reliable. If you want to save some money and grab some off a junkyard explorer they will probably be good. Regardless of the route you take, MAKE SURE that the injectors you get are for a '93! '91-'92 injectors will not work as the computer uses a different pulse width for those years.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll check those connections. Also, do you know the resistance value for these injectors? I plan to check them when I have them out.

Got the injectors out a little while ago. All check 16 ohms, so the coils are good, there is no reaction at all when 9 volts is applied. Looks like they are stuck solid and have heavy hard varnish on the tips. I rigged up a cleaning setup per a utube video, can't get anything to spray through using Berryman carb and choke cleaner. I think I'm just going to find another set of injectors. There's a cheap set on Ebay. Anyone have experience with those?

Continuing to mess with the injectors, let them soak in the Berryman on the inlet side and now can hear them clicking, Will just let 'em soak some more and see what happens.

If they are clicking then that is a good,sign. They might free up with longer soaking. Did you remove the little screens?

Update today. Five of the six injectors are working now after soaking. The sixth just won't free up. So I ordered a replacement. I should have all the parts to put the top of the motor back together by Thursday. Will give another update as soon as I get it together. Thanks for the help so far.

I'm elated!!! Success! After reinstalling the injectors and the rest of the top of the motor, It started and ran after being dead for 17 years! Had a lot of clattering at first till the lifters pumped up, but then ran smooth. Has good oil pressure, alternator is working and no warning lights. Then was able to drive it just around our little circle in front of the house. The front brakes are dragging, but has some pedal. Also the clutch seems ok.
Now on to more repairs on the rest of the truck. I've ordered new front calipers, rotors, pads, bearings, brake hoses and master cylinder. After that, I'll check the rear brakes.
I'll be back after more progress. Thanks for the help so far. This is going to be quite the restoration project.

Well, I'm back with problems. Engine starts fine every time. But idles slightly rough. At near 2000 rpm it's really rough and hesitates and misses, has no power when the throttle is floored. It will eventually rev on up, but still missing. I ran the code reader both engine off and engine on and get no codes. Engine light is not on. So, suggestions. Remember this is with all new ignition components, fuel pump and filter. Also, five of six injectors were cleaned by me and the sixth was replaced with a rebuilt one. Maybe still bad injectors? Throttle body has been cleaned and MAF cleaned.

Fuel filter. If the tank hasn't been cleaned out in 17 years and you put new gas in it whatever deposits in the tank might have broke loose and got in the lines.

Forgot to say that the fuel tank was pulled, and then cleaned. The old gas was completely gelled and had corroded the fuel pump and level sensor to DEATH. Filter was replaced at that time also. Fuel pressure tested at 35 psi at idle after that work.

I am surprised with your issues you are not getting any lean codes. Anyways, I ran into fuel issue with my second gen with crap in the tank. Even after replacing it I still had to replace the fuel filter a couple of times after and stuff was still coming loose in the lines. Easy way to check is pull the fuel filter and tap the inlet on a piece of cardboard and try to see if anything comes out. I have seen all sorts of crap come out of those things.

I also just noticed you are right around where I live. :D

Here's an update today. Tested Fuel pressure and it was 30 at idle. Punch the throttle and it goes to 40 then drops back to 30. Pulled the vacuum line off the pressure regulator and pressure goes to 40. Pulled the fuel filter and did find some fine trash, so installed a new one. No change in fuel pressure after that.also installed a new relay for the fuel pump. Still no change. When the throttle is punched, there is a big hesitation, then it revs up but is running rough and power is down.
What's next? I'm thinking replace the injectors. What do you think?

Only other thing I can think of would be vacuum leak.

Ok, I'll go over it again. Would carb cleaner sprayed over it be the thing to use?

Update: Went over everything and found no disconnected or broken/cracked vacuum hoses, then sprayed carb cleaner over everything at idle and didn't notice any change in idle speed.
Not sure what next. Still thinking to replace injectors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it run rough all the time (cold & hot), or does it change based on the engine temp.? Have you checked the thermostat? Hoses? Water pump? What about the temp. sensors (both of them)?
The temp sensor that sends info to the computer could cause the engine to run rough. Mine does that periodically after a warm/hot start.

Also, what condition is the exhaust in after 17 years? Is it clean/clear? No obstructions? CAT condition? Who knows what could have crawled up there and died in that long of a time frame!

You said you cleaned 5 of the injectors... How was the spray pattern after cleaning? Did you compare those to the spray pattern of the new one you bought? That could also have an affect on engine performance.

Just more stuff to think about. You done a lot so far and have brought an Ex back from the dead! Congrats! Don't give up now...

Back