1993 4x4 manual to auto swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 4x4 manual to auto swap?

Rainier

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
So, the local wrecking yard told me they had 3 manual transmissions, then 2 weeks later I go to get 1, as I had the money and time to pick it up and they had crushed all the vehicles. No longer had any.

My truck is a 1993 xlt, push button 4x4 with m5od r1. I can't shift into 3rd gear. Can't get a new transmission, and I don't believe I have the skills, time, and tools, to do a complete rebuild on the one I have.

My buddy has a 1996 4.0 ohv, 2wd auto... I think it has the 4r55e, which is the same auto in my 1995 ford ranger.

His 96 runs great, but can't be titled.

We plan to swap the trans, and engine, and various other parts needed to convert my 93 to a 4x4 auto.

Aside from what I can get from the donor truck, what else will I need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your truck is 93 4x4 5 speed
the 96 auto is 2wd
It will not work
Aside from that the 93 does not have the correct computer, wiring to control the 96 automatic

You would basically need to convert your 93 to a 2wd and use the entire OBD2 engine/trans/computer pedals and more from the 96 Ranger
To convert your 93 to an automatic requires alot of work, parts, and wiring plus a new computer. 93 is not compatible with a 96

I would find a M5od 5 speed from any 4x4 4.0L (1991-2001) truck Ranger or Explorer and install it with a new clutch

I would find a M5od 5 speed from any 4x4 4.0L (1991-2001) truck Ranger or Explorer and install it with a new clutch

You can also run a 2.9 4wd Mazda if you happen to run across one (there aren't many around). I had one in my '94 Sport for a while.

Why not >2001?

I guess he could use M5od from behind a sohc engine what was I thinking

You can also use the M5OD 4x4 from a 4.0L SOHC Ranger 2002-2011 it will bolt in and is a nice upgrade over your current 93 unit

Lets make a list
A 5 speed manual transmission from these vehicles will work:

1986-90 Ford Ranger or Bronco II 2.9L
1991-1994 Ford Explorer
95-2001 Explorer 4.0L
1990-2011 Ford Ranger with 4.0L OHV or SOHC
Mazda B4000 all years
Mazda Navajo 4.0L 1992-94 (I think 92 was first navajo)
Mercury Mountaineer 1996-2001 4.0L (96 first year of mounty or was it 97?)
2002-2004 Explorer sport or sport trac

The later model M5od was much stronger then the earlier ones, especially behind the more powerful SOHC 4.0L

The 4.0L V6 OHV and SOHC have the same physical dimensions as far as the transmission / bellhousing / starter are concerned
The 98+ OHV and SOHC use a 8 bolt crank and different flywheel
The clutch got larger behind the SOHC
I use 2004 Ranger Edge clutch when I replace clutches on these trucks, the earlier OHV 6 bolt crank flywheel `990-1997 will need some holes drilled for the larger clutch pressure plate

I just haven't had any luck tracking one down, but since you all say it's more work than we are thinking... I think I have that list of transmissions from the rangerstation, or something.

We were planning on swapping everything and have access to an experienced mechanic to help with the swap. But I will take your word for it, and just keep on the lookout or buy a transmission off of eBay.

yes its more work because the donor is 2wd and I assume you want to keep 4x4?
Also the 93 is OBD-1 computer the 96 is OBD-2 computer...way different when it comes to wiring, interface with dash and controlling the computer controlled automatic trans.
That is a very involved swap
It is way easier to install a new 5 speed or have yours rebuilt
I can find them on Ebay all day long

Yea, guess I'm taking the ebay route, had hoped to get it done a lot sooner but, will have to put aside some additional funds to order a rebuilt transmission.

It's a lot of work trust me. I'm in the middle of transplanting a 2000 2wd SOHC/Auto into a 1991 Manual 4wd. It's gutting 2 complete vehicles and building from the ground up.

But not a 3.0 transmission .

I knew you didn't intentionally put a 3.0 trans there, just wanted to make sure the OP didn't click to buy without catching the difference. That second one is a good find.

I found an R1hd for 650, free shipping.

I actually did find a junkyard tranny had the cover plate off. I hand spun it, everything seemed ok. I am going to throw it in the truck, and see if I can shift through all the gears without it running, and compare to mine that I pull out of the truck.

The junk yard one, I snagged for super cheap, no guarantee if it was working or not. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

Going to cancel on swapping that 2wd auto stuff atm. Might end up pulling the engine for my explorer down the road, but will stick with manual transmission.

In the junk yard look for trucks that ran into something. IE obviously wrecked = they were at least moving /running / driving! Better odds

Those 5 spd's are pretty easy to rebuild yourself if someone is so inclined. I stripped all the teeth off the input shaft on the '94 Sport I used to have. I found a local transmission parts place that had the input shaft, bearings, and syncros for pretty cheap - less than $150. Working on a standard tranny is simple. It's like a puzzle: pieces only go together one way! I didn't need a press or anything either. Just a couple different sized bearing pullers and some room on the floor of my garage.

So hey... I drive a '91 Explorer 4x4 with a crap-tastic A4LD transmission whose gears are apparently made of potato chip. Everything I've researched so far about the A4LD says that it's the dying pacemaker of my vehicle and always will be no matter how many times I replace it with another one. So here's my question: Is there any and I mean any other tranny type that will fit in place of the A4LD for pairing with the colonge 4.0 V-6 in the 1991 Explorer, but is anything close to the indestructibility of the mighty and nearly godlike E40D used in the 89-98 F-series truck family?

If so, what hardcore workhorse trans can I swap my A4LD out for in my '91 Explo 4x4? And I mean hardcore workhorse here, not another fragile boat anchor tranny...

my email address is lone.traveler@outlook.com

So hey... I drive a '91 Explorer 4x4 with a crap-tastic A4LD transmission whose gears are apparently made of potato chip. Everything I've researched so far about the A4LD says that it's the dying pacemaker of my vehicle and always will be no matter how many times I replace it with another one. So here's my question: Is there any and I mean any other tranny type that will fit in place of the A4LD for pairing with the colonge 4.0 V-6 in the 1991 Explorer, but is anything close to the indestructibility of the mighty and nearly godlike E40D used in the 89-98 F-series truck family?

If so, what hardcore workhorse trans can I swap my A4LD out for in my '91 Explo 4x4? And I mean hardcore workhorse here, not another fragile boat anchor tranny...

my email address is lone.traveler@outlook.com

Hey, there is a thread where a poster mentions that he swapped his A4LD for a manual. Maybe also search for his thread, and if you need more help, start a new post, so the people here can help you directly, vs piggy backing into thread that has nothing to do with what you want.

Here is that other thread...

M50D-R1 to M5OD-R1HD Swap

You can also run a 2.9 4wd Mazda if you happen to run across one (there aren't many around). I had one in my '94 Sport for a while.

Why not >2001?
Just wondering, how much of a difference did the shorter 3 gears in the 2.9 transmission make in your 4.0 truck vs the 4.0's slightly longer 1-3 geared m5od?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aside from first gear not being needed for long before shifting up, very little.

Back