• Register Today It's free!

1993 a/c

redfishfla

Reaction score
City, State
Naples fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 bronco custom
I changed over my a/c from R12 To 134A ,I have done this to many trucks in the past. This time when I charge it the low side goes -0 and nothing on the high side. what is going on ? Help:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You put Freon in it, yet the gauges read zero? Well, either the Freon is leaking straight out of it somewhere, or your gauges aren't reading right. Are you sure the 134A gauge adapters are correct and working?

I have an robin air recycile . I flushed the system removed the dryer,lines, compressor. replaced all with R134 dryer, lines,compressor. Then cleared the system, vaccum down for 30 min. put 1.25 lb R134 . What am I missing?
Thanks,

Well, you don't have enough of a charge yet, but you certainly have enough to read pressure! Again, either your gauges aren't reading correctly or you have a huge leak. Are you showing in oil/dye leak anywhere? Do you have another set of gauges you can toss on for a moment? How far down did your vacuum go? 28 inches or better? Did it hold for a few minutes? If so, that eliminates the leak. The only other thing I can think of is the R12 to R134A adapters on the service ports aren't working.

Maybe it has something to do with the orfice tube ?

I don't think so because with no tube at all, it should still have static pressure. With a plugged tube, you would probably show very low pressures on the low side (when running) but should still show at least static pressures on the high side. If you read no pressure at all, you must have a gauge or fitting problem. If you are certain your gauges are fine, then remove the 134A fittings and check the system pressure by depressing the schrader valve or use R12 gauges for a moment to check them. Do NOT contaminate your R12 recovery equipment with R134A!!

OK I will give it a try. I have had two sets of gages and a different recycler on it, they all show negitive low side .
Thanks, john:confused:

Well, wait a moment. You say it's pulling vacuum on the low side? I misunderstood you. I thought you had no reading at all. A vacuum on the low side does indicate a blocked system. The orifice tube is the first place to look. But why would it just pop up like that?? Makes no sense. And the high side should so something...not zero. I wonder if you don't have two problems.

Back