1993 Aerostar AWD transmission problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Aerostar AWD transmission problem.

trochia

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Hello all, new to this site and any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated... Sorry for bringing this ti an "explorer" board, but I'm in need of help. And, "parts - R - Parts " :)

4.0 A4LD AWD 1993

1) Vehicle has 180k, and was serviced at 174K.. Drove from nw Montana to Mpls, MN back in 11/2006 with no real problems. Then, locally tossed on another 3k in mileage ( from November to end of April )...

2) I had then moved 2 blocks from work, so the vehicle sat from 4/30/2007 to 8/3/2007. I then drove it from Mpls, MN to Illinois ( 350 miles ) and pulled in to some freinds with an automotive shop and noticed I had a small leakage (puddle) on ground coming from what looked like between engine/trans area...and yet the fluid level was fine still. He tossed me a bottle of trans conditioner/sealer...in which I didn't use...until after my below problem.

3) I then only drove it that same day, and parked it since 8/3/07.. 3 days ago, I took it out, went into town....( maybe 3 miles) made it back and upon pulling in the drive...it just did nothing.

4) No "change in tone" ( or noise) of engine or trans...at all while trying to shift, but one thing I did notice is that my "air bag" lite flashes intermittently now.

5) Would anything with the TCC cause this condition?

Of course, a transmission shop says $ 2,000.00...but I feel it is much more minor than this.

Again, thank-you for taking the time to read, and my fingers are crossed for the easy solution.

Thank-you,

Jim

TCC (Torque converter clutch) doesn't do anything in 2nd or 1st gear, so I would say, no the TCC isn't causing your condition.

I saw where you checked the fluid early in the scenario (when there weren't any problems), have you checked the fluid now that it won't go?

Yes, thx for the reply...and sorry i didn't add that... it's still fine...looks good...and for the heck of it, I tossed in that sealer...but no go.. :-(

I also have since e-mailed one fellow on I forget where, but his reply is:

The TCC circuit failing will not cause the
transmission to stop working, it will only prevent the
lock up from working; The transmission will work very
close to normally without it. I've seen this type of
transmission fail in a similar manner, but it was
caused by blown seals in the clutch packs or a blown
front pump. If there isn't any noise, I would say that
the seals have let go and the pump is stil servicable.
In any case, the transmission will need to be rebuilt
and the cooler lines cleaned out.

So, minimal damage, as that trans I felt was really good still.

Was wondering if anyone wanted to "second the motion" on the above thoughts...?

Thx again,

jim

Back