1993 EX A4LD Question

godsmack2980

Reaction score
City, State
Southwick,Ma.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
hey guys/girls,
I have a 93 explorer sport. A4LD Auto. Trans. , my first problem was no froward gears,and no reverse. I did a fluid and filter change, and I also replaced the Trans. oil cooler today. Well I guess the stars and the moon were aligned because I have forward and reverse now. "BUT"....when i put her in reverse it is kind of delayed and rough and sounds like something is binding. oh and the really weird part is i lost throttle response a few times. Shes got roughly 154,000 miles.I gues my question is where do i look first?
Thanks for any and all help...:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How difficult is a valve body rebuild? Not very much experience with A/T. Is there a specific kit you reccomend and do you have any idea of cost? Thanks.

there is in fact. An entire section on the forum dedicated to the explorer transmisions. Might take
a
look around there for info on a valve body rebuild. I'm sure someone must have explained the steps.

Good luck! Fortunatley I have not had any complaints with my a4ld. :crossedfingers: though my dads shifts more firmly than mine. Is rebuilt.

AL4d

Well Ibroke down and bought another used Transmission to buy me some time to rebuild the original. Went and checked it out... Cleanest fluid/pan and filter I have ever seen. Imaculate inside and out ....well to the naked eye at least. I plan on filter and fluid change on monday. Do you reccomend I do anything else before I start the truck?

hey while ur in there put a shift kit in it

sure what kit do you recomend?

Also. I have very little experience with internal repairs/upgrades on internal parts how hard is it to install? Last time I put a shift kit in, it was a TH350 Trans.
One more question in the channels on the Valve body of the TH350 there were little white balls. What are they and what do they do. Is it crucial to put them back exactly where they were? Does the A4LD have these aswell? You guys rock! Thanks for all your help.

Check the sticky called the A4LD valve body rebuild diary in the transmission section. I have additional information in my list of useful threads.

Dude, read the sticky. At is the A4LD Bible so to speak... all questions are answered there.

There is a small cover inside the pan for the low/reverse servo. Do a search under this name. Remove it and see if you can get any side to side movement of the servo. The O ring tends to flatten out with age and leak. These can be easily replaced.

would that also account for the binding?

thanks for all the help fellas.

Back