1993 Ex CMS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ex CMS

dblD1968

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 ranger
Hi, does anybody know why the '93 Ex has a cam position sensor, but is wired for batch fire injection??
I don't need to replace one I only want to know why it has one but is not wired for SEFI?

0996b43f8021196d.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some 93's have sequential fire injection, and thus a wired cam sensor.

Check your injector wires. If each bank shares common wire coloring it is batch fire, if each injector has it's own wire color combination, it is sequential.

Been there-there are 3 possible ecm-wiring combinations for a 93 auto transmission.

So autozone's and Haynes manuals wiring diagrams are wrong?

I dont have a 93 I was just looking at wiring diagrams.

I think Chiltons has them correct. But yes, I went through all 3 harnesses to get the correct one on my 93. It was a california version.

in 93 there may be 1 o2 sesnor, or 2 o2 sensors, or 2 02 sensors with cam sensor. Some late 93's even had egr.

If you click the 93 link in my signature you will find it in there. So, yes, haynes and autozone must be wrong because I am 100% certain I am correct. I had to work through it.

Holy crap well that explains it.
Thanks for answering that for me been bothering me for a while.

Chilton manual shows; California = SEFI and Non-Cali = Batch for 93'

Both have the CPS (at least on the diagram)

In 94' all went to SEFI.

Looking at Chilton manual # 26688

FR-425

The wiring diagram I posted is a fed emission (batch fire style) with a cam position sensor. Check yours and see if it shows a cam position sensor with batch injector wiring.

Haynes shows California emissions SEFI.

FR-425

The wiring diagram I posted is a fed emission (batch fire style) with a cam position sensor. Check yours and see if it shows a cam position sensor with batch injector wiring.

Haynes shows California emissions SEFI.

Yes, it shows CPS on both SEFI and Batch.

The CPS is tapped into the red wire on the injector loop for both.

Batch only has a tan and white wire going to the PCM

SEFI has

tan
brown/LT blue
tan
tan/blk
white
LT green/orange

directly to the PCM

That's not a typo;

They actually use "tan" for two different injectors. Just to make trouble shooting more fun!

My 93 had batch fire, 2 02 sensors and no wired in CMP sensor. No EGR . It was just the oil pump drive unit.

A member here by the screen name of"fixxer" had all 3 of the good wire diagrams straight from Ford posted at one time. It might be noted the ECM wiring connector configuration was also very different between the 3--which I had all of , and the 3 harnesses, to get to the right one.

The original was 93 CA which the original owner tried to "fool" by spicing the harness. Since the replacement engine was not ca , he tried to convert the sefi to batch wiring. it was a mess. I then acquired a 93 single 02 sensor harness, which also did not work with the dual 02 sensor set up. The 3rd harness was indeed a different configuration all together. it also used a different power distribution -relay box.

I'm beginning to think Ford substituted Ranger 4.0's into some Ex's.

And the Ranger wire diagrams also show Batch for non-Cali and SEFI for Cali. No CPS on any.

Weird!?

I guess if you own a 93' you have to figure out which systems you have/or don't have, and modify your wire diagram to fit.

I'm beginning to think Ford substituted Ranger 4.0's into some Ex's.

And the Ranger wire diagrams also show Batch for non-Cali and SEFI for Cali. No CPS on any.

Weird!?

I think its more of a mid year change. If "Turdle" or someone could tell us the production dates of the differences in federal emissions ex we might have some clues. I only say this because look at a 92 wiring diagram its the same other than a CMS and EGR regulator.

I don't think it is production date, but rather regional as well as production date.

Until 94'; Then all were "supposed" to meet the Cali standard. (by the end of the production year) and so you will find a few 94 Ex's with no EGR.

At least I have heard people swear on their life that their 94' had no EGR.

Same Transition nightmare in 95' going to OBD-II

I'm sure glad I have a 94' that is what it is supposed to be. Has all the components right where they should be, and matches up with the available wire diagrams.

I'll bet Turdle is digging through is papers right now, so hold on.

To be honest the only accurate wiring diagrams were the actual ford diagrams. I am looking --tbars posted the links to them in my 93 thread.

You did get an answer to your original question though.

Both SEFI and Batch can have the CPS or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back