1993 explorer auto to manual hubs

detroityfz450

Reaction score
City, State
detoit mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 xlt explorer
ok i just bought a 1993 xlt explorer i want to convert it to manual hubs

can anyone tell me where i can get a conversion kit?

also my 4wd does not work so far i did self test on module its good.

but when i push the button it does light up but i have power at 4 pins at the switch.

any ideas i plans on testing the switch tonight then going after the motor diagnosis.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

warn makes the only conversion kits as far as I know..

As for the 4 wheel drive not working, it may be the shift motor (at the back of the xfer case).. There are threads on here with instructions on cleaning the shift motor.

~Mark

Welcome to the site. :) Do a search for the conversion kit. Someone told me (can't remember who) that you can buy some nut for a D44 for about 10 bucks and it's the same as the Warn $40 conversion kit.

Like Maniak said, the 4x4 problem is probably the shift motor. If it's not that, it is most likely the switch. But the shift motor problem is the more common problem.

superwinch makes a manual hub kit for the 1st gens. i use, works great in the snow but i never go 4 wheeling so i dont know if they will work for your applications

i bought mine (warn) on ebay a few years ago. one of the best things i did to the explorer.

Any spindle nut set from a TTB Dana 28 thru a straight axle Dana 44 HD will fit. Inner nut, washer, and outer nut.

I also switched to manual, best thing i ever did to the explorer.

Back