1993 explorer .... charging trouble - FIXED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 explorer .... charging trouble - FIXED

mangler181

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 xlt
Hi all
im having a problem with the charging system on my 1993 explorer xlt 4.0
the alternator was making a squealing grinding noise yesterday then the
battery light came on.....so i obviously changed the alt....sure enough
the bearings were all gone so a replaced the alt with a spare i had laying around ......started up and same prob battery light on and not charging
so i figured the one i had laying around was also toast so i bought a new one(not rebuilt) and same prob not charging......i then changed the battery with a newer one i had in my other car .....same prob.......
so i read around these forums for a bit and seems like this is not a rare problem.......i read about a 175amp fuse i could check but after a while of looking around i could not find the location of it .......also i read about a 30 amp fuse in the engine compartment fuse box ....which one would be for the alternator????? the ignition one? i dont have a manual
thank you in advance for any insight any one could send this way

Here's from an earlier post from Diff Whack Daddy--

"There is actually a fuse in the fuse box that controls the voltage regulator attatched to the alternator. If that fuse blows, it won't work. It's in the fuse box under the hood and on a 93-94 it's one of the little tiny ones. I am not sure which one it is on a 91-92 as they have a different under hood fuse box."

....so I guess it's under the hood in the fusebox. Also check the connectors for the alternator, as Ford had some problems with these.

Hey buddy!!!
Thanks alot, it was the 15 amp fuse located under the hood.Did not think such a small fuse could cause sooo many problems.

Have a good Christmas thanks again !!:thumbsup:

Glad you found it...that'll make for a better holiday. Have a good one.

Back