• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1993 Explorer Engine control Computer

allenhudson91

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 4.0 XLT
Can someone please tell me where the electrical engine control unit is located on a 1993 ford explorer 4.0? A picture or diagram would be nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

growler

Reaction score
City, State
fenton, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 ranger extended cab 4x
if its anything like a 93 ranger, the powertrain control module (PCM), is down on the driver side firewall under the cruise control vacuum canister, and the ignition control module is under the dash board behind the ashtray.

thomasfortney

Reaction score
City, State
Dover, mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
probably behind passenger side kick panel, It could possibly be in the engine compartment. Look for a large electrical plug coming out of the firewall on the passenger side It might be attached there or like i said behind the kick panel.

allenhudson91

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 4.0 XLT
Does anybody know if the EEC can cause all my plugs to fuel foul on the passenger side of the engine? They foul within 10 minutes.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Bad wiring or an ECU can do that.

IIRC that is sort of what happened to DannyBoy. We put a new to him motor in his truck and it was filling a cylinder up with fuel. He swapped out the wiring and the computer and it stopped dumping fuel into the motor. It was dumping enough to hydrolock the motor.

~Mark

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
^^^
I think I found Danny's problem in the harness he sent me. I found chaffed wires going to the injectors-
93 is batch fire, and therefore the injector wiring is all tied together on each bank. Now, if the tan wire, just one of them, is chaffed, and contacts ground, this will "turn on" the entire bank of injectors. I found such chaffing in that harness he sent.

I didn't think it was important at the time, as I had another engine harness to choose from. And it was already fixed. Besides, when I try to explain stuff I tend to confuse the issue further.

OK,
On the alternator bracket you will see 2 large electrical connectors. these go to the "engine harness"
Trace them up to where the injector plugs branch out, up in the area of the water neck. It was in this area I found green patina on the exposed wiring, and a few bare wires touching each other.

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Slight correction
Look in the loom where the Throttle position sensor, IAC valve and IAT sensor wires separate from the fuel injector wiring bundle. You might have to dig into the plastic conduit. I took a picture and will get it uploaded soon