1993 explorer intake manifold gasket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 explorer intake manifold gasket

woknap

Reaction score
City, State
Ocean Park, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer xlt
Hi, I messed up and broke the left front intake manifold bolt, but that is not what my question is about. When I removed the other bolts, the manifold and then the gasket, it seemed like the sealer they sell with the gasket for front and back edges was not "touched" or squeezed. I am worried now that if I had not broke a bolt, the manifold would not have been sealed good where it meets the block in front and back. I guess I used about a 1/16th" on each surface, but will try 1/4" this next try. I was torqued down to 192in-lbs.
The water jacket areas seemed to have been sealed good.
What about using the intake manifold gasket over? It was on there for about 10 minutes; should be ok to reuse?
Thanks
Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you're talking about the lower intake since you're mentioning sealant. I can't speak to that but the upper intake, I did mine wrong and had to remove it again to fix an issue (forgot to hook the gas up!). I re-used the upper intake gasket since it had been on there a few minutes only. I had no issues. I also re-used it again when I had to fix another issue, it had only been on a couple days with a couple start/stops.

Generally it's recommended to always use a new gasket but with such short time that it's been on, I would just suggest to re-use it and torque it a half a foot pound more than you did the last time just to make sure it's 'crushed' more and snug.

I wouldnt reuse it..not as cheap and as critical as it is.also dont be shy with the rtv and make sure its really clean.is it the old one piece gssket or the new two piece ?

Hi
Gasket is a one piece. I was lucky on the bolt I broke. There was enough thread to get a nut on it, but I had to grind the six outside edges. There was not enough room for the overall 13mm so I ground it down to 11mm, made sure it fit my socket, and used JB weld when I put the nut on. Tried turning it out the next day and it came out with little effort.
Got the idea on this forum when someone mentioned mig welder.
Now to save some money and get those rods and arms, but how do I know I am getting good parts? Rock Auto has enginetech or sealed power?

Sealed power all day ;)

Back to the broken intake manifold bolt I mentioned at the beginning of my saga... I am having a heck of a time finding a replacement bolt! Have tried many auto parts websites and the local napa here.. they said the ford dealer but I went to the "official" Ford parts site on line and couldn't find it there either! Any ideas?

Back