1993 Explorer - not starting | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

1993 Explorer - not starting

khunter

Reaction score
My 1993 Explorer Sport is having starting problems. About a month ago it overheated - pressure tested, no damage, flushed the radiator. After that it ran a bit rough but was still good. Have also been adding fuel injector cleaner during fueling up. Couple of weeks ago fueled up and parked car for a couple hours, went back out and it cranked but would not start. A friend removed the air intake hose and opened the intake valve - started right up.

I runs fine once started - I have since cleaned the IAC sensor - and I still sometimes need to repeat the above procedure to get it started when cold.

I have thought about cleaning the MAF.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

ragajungle

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 BroncoII & 05 Taurus
Welcome! Have you pulled any codes? There is a simple procedure on youtube to show you how to pull codes on an ODB1 vehicle - this will help point you in the right direction. It sounds like you are on the right track - cleaning and inspecting, but sometimes stored codes could give you an idea of what you might be missing

Happy Holidays to you too!

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
This is the wrong section for a 98, but, a p0401 code means you have insufficient EGR flow, which is probably unrelated to your starting issues. Check your ECT.