1993 explorer that I was offered for trade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 explorer that I was offered for trade

danwheler660

Reaction score
City, State
fenton michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mercury mountaineer
I was offered this solid axle lifted 1993 explorer

solid axle from a 78-79 ford dana 44 & 9"
5.5 superlift
35" MT tires on 5x8 wagon wheels
4.0 v6 with auto trans
Runs and drives great
All disk breaks
189k body
Around 60k drive train

for my 1996 bronco. I have drop a but load of cash in my truck and it still runs really bad when it is cold or wet out so I put it up on craigs list looking for something with a solid front axle. The guy is dd the explorer so I just wanted to get some ideas befor I said ok to the trade I would be using this as a daily driver around town and maybe drive it to the sand dunes and Michigan mud jam in 2014

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love my solid axle swaped explorer. All disc is a good upgrade to so if you hate your bronco enough id say do it. Mine doesnt run that good right know tho and it drinks gas. And i hear the ohc 4.0 auto yranny isnt the greatest but if jes beeen using it a while may be ok

Read through a couple Solid Axle swap threads here first so you can assess the quality of the build the guy did on his Explorer.

Some things I would make sure of/ questions I would ask:

- Check that draglink and tracbar are parallel
- Make sure Radius arm mounts/ coil buckets/ trac bar mount are fabbed/ installed in a reasonable way
- Look at color of trans fluid and be weary of its condition if the owner did not install a larger trans cooler - the A4LD Trans is quite the POS if not maintained/ cooled properly
- If anything less than 4.56 gears don't expect much better mileage than your Bronco

Other than that should be a nice tough truck. The 4.0 is a torquey reliable motor. Last week I pulled my brother's broken down Jetta home on a car trailer with zero issues, and I'm running 35's. If you worry about the auto trans, a 5 speed swap is less than $1000 and a weekend project if you shop around and do your reading - I've done it twice so far.

explorer

1993-explorer--(8).jpg

1993-explorer--(7).jpg

1993-explorer--(6).jpg

dsc08418.jpg

1993-explorer--(8).jpg

Wow, looks nice! I'd trade.
But why would he want the Bronco instead of the Ex?

The guy got it in April and now he was some thing stock again I guess

Looks good - I'd go for it!

Loos very clean do what pollarician said and take it for a good test drive

Subbing

not yet still waiting on the guy who owns it to get me more information on it

will do. The guy lives 1hr and 30 mins north of me so I want to make sure the frame height is no more then 24" or I can't drive it legally on the road...

Still waiting o the guy to email me back. He takes forever to email back.

I don't think The trade is going to happen. They guy has not emailed me back and it has been 4 days

well the guy got back with me finally. The frame is 20" off the ground so it is legal for Michigan roads He still whats to trade so we will see what happens

Looks like I will be picking this up Monday. If everything goes alright.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

trade didn't happen the guy wouldn't email the pics I needed before I would make the 2 1/2 hr drive one way

Back